Why American Idol ratings drop?

Just curious to know what everyone else thinks on why the American Idol ratings have dropped?

I will put in the first answer: Because it has lost its "family" appeal. Ellen Degeneres and Adam Lambert (mostly Adam Lambert) have ruined it. Wish the media would admit it, cause I will bet all of my next paycheck that is what it is.

Adam was raunchy in his performance on on the AMA and Ellen has nothing to do with music and has an attitude already with Simon. (Simon makes the show by the way...)

How the heck is that homophobic you paranoid skitzoids...?

Favorite Answer

I think that there are multiple reasons why this season the ratings are dropping:

1. The level of talent this year is as low as it has ever been. Crystal Bowersox is head and shoulders better than anyone else on the show. Only in season one has the talent pool been so shallow.

2. Last year they added a fourth judge, why? It just took longer to critique each contestant. I also have a sneaking suspicion that they wanted to get rid of Paula because of her sometimes odd behavior. They wanted to see how the public liked Kara before low balling an offer to Paula the following season. Then when it seemed like they got what they wanted when Paula quit they replaced her with a comedian/talk show host that has no music background whatsoever. I don't understand this either.

3. Rumors are that this is Simon's last season. As far as I am concerned, if there is no Simon, there is no show.

4. Lastly, I feel like the judges sometimes try and make the show about them with all of the back and forth banter. I think that some is ok, but I find it unnerving that after they rip someones performance apart, they start joking with each other while doing it. I find it cruel. Dont get me wrong, I laugh when they are mean to those at the original auditions in various cities, but enough is enough.

I don't think American Idol will be canceled any time soon. Maybe in a couple of years when people get tired of the show and stop watching it but right now I think that their ratings are pretty high. Isn't it like 15 million or something? That seems really high so I'm not exactly sure. I've never really been interested in American Idol so it doesn't really matter to me if it stays on or not.

Paula is missed but I think Ellen is doing a good job. She is keeping it Professional and not letting her comedian side of her come out to sell views on her own show. I think she the most compassionate. Kyra is useless and annoying. And of course you gotta love Simon. Dancing with the stars have been getting good ratings because of people like Kate and Pamela and Dawg (randy) he's ok.

1. ryan goes crazy every night with inappropriate and rude comments - it's just weird.

2. i'm not a fan, but after people saw adam lambert, they thought no other talent could compare.

3. too many commertials so people change the channel and decide to stay on that channel rather than idol.

4. tim urban was there for TOO MANY weeks.

5. people need to start watching and voting more because lee dewyze should definitely win.

I get the feeling you are quite homophobic. Get over it! I think it has more to do with lackluster talent this year. The top 12 are just boring.

ya i agree.lost the family aspect.. but ryan is seriously getting on my nerves too.. hes one of the reasons i dont watch it.. along w/ kicking off all the best contestants besides lee. if lee doesnt win i will be soooo upset. hes the best for sure.

Oh boy, apparently you have a thing against gays. I feel sorry for you.

EDit-I don't think the ratings are dropping much.

The talent is sub par and not that interesting. The "mentors" this year are fairly pathetic and do not have mass recognition.

People liked Paula. She's not there, they stopped watching. That's why I did.