Montreal INFO please!?

Hey I'm an American and am just starting to think of Montreal as a possible place to look into moving to next. I mean I would be ok with a visit too...so this is info regarding both i guess. I already speak some french so that's not the problem. Here are a few random questions: What are some of the... show more Hey

I'm an American and am just starting to think of Montreal as a possible place to look into moving to next. I mean I would be ok with a visit too...so this is info regarding both i guess. I already speak some french so that's not the problem. Here are a few random questions:

What are some of the major benefits of montreal? what is the weather like / feel like (I'm from Southern California but I have lived in colder places)? What are some of the decent neighborhoods to look into living- as in decent priced, close to everything, public transportation, safe, nice etc? What is the rent generally like for either a studio/bachelor/1 bedroom in a decent place (for a young professional /grad student) in these decent city areas? What are some of the cool neighborhoods to visit? what are some of the best things to do in Montreal? What do the tourists like and what to do the locals like? How easy is it to access other cities or even the US without a car? What are the people like in general, compared to other areas of canada (i would ask in comparison to Americans, but i'm guessing that answer would just be 'nicer'...same compared to the french). Also wondering if anyone knows about the process of gaining residency, or going to grad schools in the city. And the job market.

Basically i just want any info on montreal. I can read wikipedia or look at the tourism site but it doesn't help as much as hearing it from others who know first hand. or can search deeper than i can :)

Thanks
Update: Oh i guess in quebeqois terms, i meant I was wondering about anything up to a 3 1/2 for an apartment in a decent area