Global warming aside, do you believe the government has done enough in regards to reducing pollution?

If not, what do you believe should be done to reduce it further?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

use gm and chrysler's bail out money to finance research by private firms with promising ideas that may someday replace the internal combustion engine

build more nuclear power plants

build solar fields

regulate ALL businesses.. not just manufacturing ones.. make it a requirement for all companies to have 1/2 as many recycling bins as trash cans. dock police officers' pay for leaving their cars on for their entire shift.. or make them pay for 1/3 of their fuel. this one pisses me off.. i see these guys in a dennys for 3 hours and i go outside to leave and their cars are all running. phase out coal plants. adopt california emissions controls including smog checks, not just looking at the check engine lights. make laws that all televisions sold in america include adjustable sleep timers.. don't give FHA loans or modifications on homes unless they pass energy efficiency checks. carpool lane is a great idea.. bring it to all states and actually enforce it. stop letting the free market decide when green is OK. it's more expensive but the transition will produce plenty of jobs, but in the meantime, only those that can afford to eat and drive and compute and heat their homes greenly cast economic votes in favor of it, keeping it on the fringe of mainstream and keeping it expensive.

*edit: responding to everyone saying we need nuclear power - i completely agree. but would like to add that we can easily re-enrich uranium as a 'spent' fuel rod is only ~5% less pure than a fresh one is. uranium is a VERY rare element here on earth.. and even if we committed ourselves to depleting our weapons stash and using that uranium, we'd eventually find ourselves in the same situation as we are in with the oil. not to mention the fact that we are not in a perfect world and we know that there are terrorist spies and operatives in our own country.. i don't personally see a nuclear future happening, but we need to push doing SOMETHING other than burning fossil fuels. we take baby steps or moonwalk and say that it is progress. seems like the entire world is planning on civilization ending in 2012.. everyone's so ******* near sighted

also, overpopulation wouldn't be as much of an issue if we could limit each person's impact on the environment and demand for natural resources. since we wont take steps to curb the birth rate such as sterilizing people with low IQ's or making laws as to how many kids a person can have because birth is how our economy functions, limiting each person's impact on the world is the only way our species can survive in the long term.

• 4 years ago

I think there are three essential ways that you can participate in helping the environment and prevent the effects of global warming from getting any worse. 1.) Learn to use less energy. Use energy saving light bulbs over incandescent ones. Drive less, bicycle †o wherever you want to go. If enough people do this, you will get rid of much of your pollution problems. 2.) Encourage population control. have abortion clinics easily available in every neighborhood. Encourage people to use birth control, have less children and to have abortions. Punish families that have more than two children, reward families that have one child, and give substantial incentives to stay childless to couples who don't have any children. 3.) Organize massive protest rallies in the country to stop your government from developing at the cost of the environment. Try and shut down your cities and towns as a protest against the fast development of free markets in India which only increase energy demand which only increases pollution. If enough Indians are conscientious and really care about the environment and what they are doing to the global climate all around the world, they can stop the machine of development that has wracked that country. Just remember that you have friends on the other side of the globe that are on your side and will do anything they can to help you keep up the good work.

• 10 years ago

If you mean by pollution as in carbon emissions, no it has not. In my view, America should find a way to get off the carbon economy entirely. Not just for a better environment, but for the following reasons:

1. It would reduce the need to depend on foreign oil. Because of oil, the US is involved in regions of the world with nations who despise us and are trying to harm America. For example, Bin Laden was originally from

Saudi Arabia and so are a majority of terrorists. Getting off the carbon ecomony would increase national security.

2. Oil and other hydro carbon energy sources are limited. Our current high tech world and ecomony's life blood is oil. When it runs out, the results would be disastrous. Oil is predicted to run out sometime this century. It has already been noted the era of cheap oil has ended and the world is expected (if not already) entered into the peak oil stage. Expect gas prices to be at 4 dollars a gallon or higher more often.

• 10 years ago

I don't support the government being in this argument, It furthers government power which is ineffective, misplaced and inherently corrupt.

It is a controled debate when frame the debate. I.E. How should the government do this, as opposed to Should the government even be allowed to do this, much less how they would do it with in the power they are granted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

with cars yes, but we need to build nuclear power plants and get rid of coal powered plants

with nuclear power energy will be so cheap that it will make sense to produce Hydrogen which can then be used to power vehicles, Hydrogen when burned produces pure H2O and nothing else, this would put an end to pollution

nuclear waste is small in volume, containable and can be stored appropriately, also we will no longer be dependant on foreign oil

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

NO. The EPA needs to start regulating the emissions from those darn volcanoes. Because just one volcano belches more crap into the atmosphere than us puny humans ever have or ever will. Ditto forest fires started by lightning. Regulate those too.

• 10 years ago

No. Even under obama we are still using depleted uranium and chemical weapons to kill civilians. Thats the pollution I want to stop!

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

People keep having kids.

Exponential population growth is the root of the problem.

I find it stunning that most are in total denial of this reality.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The answer is simple.

STRICT PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS.

You dont have the right to pollute your neighbors property.

Government is not needed.

• They did enough when the cut out CFC's. Now its just all about money by taxation

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.