MsHiker asked in SportsCycling · 10 years ago

I just purchased a lightly used Raleigh Technium bike from a garage sale for a few bucks.?

Its in mint condition except for the tires. Does anyone know what the original price was or year it was made?

Favorite Answer

Raleigh has made a variety of Technium models every year for quite a while late 80s to early 90s. They are first generation aluminum frames. They may have been the same frame with different components for several models in a particular year. Like pretty much all of the first generation aluminum frames they have a bad reputation for breaking, but they are decent if they don't break.

They vary a lot, but generally they are at least a decent entry level to mid-grade competition bike. I think they've used the name for both road and MTB. The very best models may have been equipped pretty high end, but not probably top. So maybe some Ultegra in the Mix but not Dura-Ace or Deore LX but not XT on MTBs

If you got one for a few bucks and all it needs is tires, I can confidently say you probably got a very good deal. I can also say with confidence that you won't be able to sell it on ebay for $1,000. A general guess of the quality of the bike would be to know what model brakes and derailleurs and cranks it is equipped with.

If you examine the various components (crank arms, hubs, derailleurs) particularly on the backs sides you may find date codes or model series info that can help you date the year. But it will just be for your own curiosity because the bike is in no way particularly collectible at this time, and isn't really likely to become highly sought after even in another 10 years.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): purchased lightly raleigh technium bike garage sale bucks: https://tinyurl.im/5cbOQ

Raleigh Technium

Raleigh made thousands of Technium bicycles...road bikes, mountain bikes, etc. Most were made in the early to mid '80s - I think. Get the serial number & write to Raleigh. They might know.

RALEIGH AMERICA INC.

6004 South 190th Street, Suite 101

Kent, WA 98032

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/6MP11

Stand outside with the cell phone, call the police, and tell them you found your child's bike, and the perpetrator trying to sell it. I would take it back, but that person has to pay for that-even if it IS just a slap on the wrist. Stealing from a CHILD? That is fecking LOW.

You can decipher the serial number on the bottom. Mine is R806880027. 1st and 5th digits are the year ('88). Digits 2-5 are the day of the year (068 = 68th day of the year = March 9). The last 4 digits are the number off of the production line (it was the 27th bike produced that day.

There were a variety of models. Original price would depend on which model it was, you would have to supply that information to find out how much it sold for new.

I bought one in 1988 new for $300.

86, not sure on the price. I have one as well, silver with purple. Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Replace the tires, tubes, rim tape and enjoy it. You didn't give enough info to help any.