Why is there static when i use headphones for my labtop?

Its a new gateway mini netbook i had it since last christmas and today it was working fine and all of the sudden i hear annoying static and i changed headphones and i still here the same thing and its annoying me whats wrong with it?

• Jim
    Favorite Answer

it could be static coming from your office chair or clothes (getting out of my office chair does that for me & zaps my ears). any separation of surfaces generates static. I took an ESD course at work to find this out. rugs & feet...

an anti-static workstation mat/kit from 3M should do for that, but you need something grounded to clip it to. $70-120? I would suggest an ISOBAR surge suppressor.

does that answer your question?

If it's not that, and it's repetetive-sounding, it's your sound hardware making that noise. cheap pc audio makes that noise. it requires a fair chunk of hardware to prevent noise in audio on a computer from what I've seen on the crosshair III motherboard.

my old 2004 pc's audio makes "pc noise".

there aren't a lot of things you can do about it short of getting a USB MIDI interface and hooking up a music keyboard for sound, but you are still limited to MIDI files.

It could be a variation of many different things. You changed headphones and you still hear static so that eliminates the headphones. It could be software, it could be a simple glitch with the audio settings. For example under "Playback". One of the sources like microphone could be un-muted causing you to hear static. It could be the Jack on the unit itself. Unfortunately it could be a ground issue on the hardware inside the unit.