Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why is there static when i use headphones for my labtop?

Its a new gateway mini netbook i had it since last christmas and today it was working fine and all of the sudden i hear annoying static and i changed headphones and i still here the same thing and its annoying me whats wrong with it?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it could be static coming from your office chair or clothes (getting out of my office chair does that for me & zaps my ears). any separation of surfaces generates static. I took an ESD course at work to find this out. rugs & feet...

an anti-static workstation mat/kit from 3M should do for that, but you need something grounded to clip it to. $70-120? I would suggest an ISOBAR surge suppressor.

does that answer your question?

If it's not that, and it's repetetive-sounding, it's your sound hardware making that noise. cheap pc audio makes that noise. it requires a fair chunk of hardware to prevent noise in audio on a computer from what I've seen on the crosshair III motherboard.

my old 2004 pc's audio makes "pc noise".

there aren't a lot of things you can do about it short of getting a USB MIDI interface and hooking up a music keyboard for sound, but you are still limited to MIDI files.

• 1 decade ago

It could be a variation of many different things. You changed headphones and you still hear static so that eliminates the headphones. It could be software, it could be a simple glitch with the audio settings. For example under "Playback". One of the sources like microphone could be un-muted causing you to hear static. It could be the Jack on the unit itself. Unfortunately it could be a ground issue on the hardware inside the unit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.