Would it be wierd to give my 2 year old the breastmilk I'm pumping to up my supply?

My 5 day old doesn't nurse a whole lot so they suggested me to pump to increase my supply and relieve engorging. Since I have won't be bottle feeding her I was wondering if it would be wierd to give my son my pumped milk since he quit nursing at 16 months? I know I can just dump the milks but I thought it might be good for him?

Thanks K, I was referring to the nurses at the hospital but after reading the answers I called LLL and they told me not to pump or try to increase just to encourage her to eat more and to wake her up to nurse. I really hope I didn't ruin anything, I've only done it twice so I think it will be okay!

Favorite Answer

Sure, go ahead and give it to your 2yo.

But, ah, it sounds like you are getting terrible advice. Pumping to increase your supply because your baby doesn't nurse a whole lot -- what?? If you are engorged, hand-express just enough to relieve yourself; don't create an oversupply issue by unnecessarily pumping. Who's 'they' in the 'they suggested'? It sounds like you are getting terrible nursing support... :(

• Pippin

Not 'weird' at all. But it would make more sense to freeze it. You can offer it in a bottle if you need to be away from your baby in upcoming months, or save it to mix with cereal when she starts solids.

(BTW, I really wouldn't recommend pumping at this stage of the game. Better to encourage baby to nurse more. And whatever you do, she'll probably 'wake up' in the next couple of days and be much hungrier, so you can stop pumping at that point.)

I don't think it's weird at all if you want to give it to him go for it. You could still save the extra milk even if you don't plan to bottle feed. It never hurts to have some on hand, you'll never know when it may be needed.

• BB

I know you say you won't be bottle feeding, but why don't you save the milk anyway? You might need it some day if you are really sick or can't produce any more milk.

Or you could donate it to a local breastmilk bank. They would love to have it to feed to premature newborns. Google breastmilk banks in your area to see if there is one who can take the milk.

• KC

Not at all -- it will still be beneficial to him.

Congrats on your new daughter! :)

Edit: Hon, I don't understand why you're being told to pump tp increase your supply? Is your daughter not wetting/dirtying enough diapers in a 24 hour period? If she is, then you're making plenty of milk -- you're only 5 days PP, has your milk even come in yet?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing....

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

I'm sure you're already aware of the above links, but read them over again.

• Ree

Why wouldn't you freeze it for your newborn? I mean it is not weird by any means to let your older son the milk, it is very good for him, but I would also be freezing some as you go too!

Congrats!

Not weird at all!! My two year old watches me pump and asks to taste it every time. I put some in a cup for her and let her have at it!! It will absolutely be good for him.

It certainly won't hurt him. You could also freeze it (a back up supply is very handy!) or make cheese. ;)

I formula feed so I would think its strange.I would just give him cow's milk.

Wrong, maybe not, weird, yes.