Do you think it's possible to trace your family tree all the way back to Charlemagne?

My cousin is the family historian and he claims to have traced the family back to one of the wives of Henry VIII, King Alfred the Great and Charlemagne. I understand that if your a member of royalty you can trace your family back centuries. But, we are not. So, even though I accept Charlemagne and the rest would... show more My cousin is the family historian and he claims to have traced the family back to one of the wives of Henry VIII, King Alfred the Great and Charlemagne. I understand that if your a member of royalty you can trace your family back centuries. But, we are not. So, even though I accept Charlemagne and the rest would have thousands of descendants I don't think it would be possible even for royalty to go back that far. There surely wouldn't be any existing records left.