P1nky asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 10 years ago

whats the possibilities of a thunder lighting striking a house?

i live in vegas and i wanted to know what are the chances..do they have stuff to catch thunderligthing

Best Answer

I have sailed for half a century with sailboats with tall mast, alone on the ocean and I have never been hit by lightning. Well, it happened once, but in harbour and I wasn't on board. The only damaged was to the VFR radio antenna on the top of the mast.

Reading about the dangers of lightning at sea, it turns out that if lightning is to hit the sea in a radius roughly the height of your mast, it will hit it. That doesn't sound very much, does it? After all, when looking at the sea from an airliner, ... it is big, and the chances to come that close to your boat is very small.

I would suggest that your consider how high is your house over the terrain. Remember that electricity always seeks the shortest path. If you are surrounded by hills or higher buildings, or tall trees, you don't risk anything.

Incidentally, the most memorable day of all my sailings (I am now 62 and sold last year my last sailboat) is when I was off the Spanish coast, in the fog, at night, with a thunderstorm, no wind, and dolphins crossing my bow making traces of phosphorous plankton in the sea. The special thing with lightning in the fog at night (it happens very rarely but it does) is that light comes from everywhere at once, being spread by the fog.

My wager is that your apartment used to be no longer hit through lightning and here's why: If it used to be, you would not ask; the sound of the thunder could make it beautiful seen. I as soon as noticed lightning to hit a mobilephone pole might be 100 yards from me and I virtually misplaced my listening to for a couple of hours. This being stated, it's viable that you simply skilled matters involving the thunderstorm. You have most commonly heard of the St Elms fires met through seafarers and "lightning balls" coming into the apartment by way of e.g. a chimney to vanish all of the sudden. Strange matters can occur within the very powerful static electrical energy area generated through a thunderstorm. But the ones do not occur because the lightning bolt moves. They occur any time for the duration of the thunderstorm. Last however no longer least; it's tricky to foretell the direction of the bolt however, mainly, it travels external the apartment. Electricity seeks the shortest direction and a rainy external facade is a miles larger direction than the problematic sample of masonery. For instance, being in a vehicle does not guard you from lightning given that of the rubber tires; that is an city legend. What it does, regardless that, is to allow the bolt transfer external the steel frame of the vehicle as it really works as a Faraday cage.