Unlocking an AMD Athlon tri core processor into a quad core?

I am buying this processor for my new computer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N8... and it is apparently a quad core with one of the cores turned off to make it a tri core, and somehow the extra core can be turned back on and used. Does anyone know how to do this? I've searched everywhere and can't find a solution

• Mark N
    Favorite Answer

If you want to cheat the system a little, just buy an i3 530 and it will run 4 applications through hyper threading at 2.93Ghz just like a quad core. Cost is $120, the H55 motherboard will run $110 for a good Gigabyte motherboard, and 4gigs of DDR3 1600 will run ya $110. Just choose your ram for 1.5Volts or lower, only problem is the good stuff for those boards, which is 1.35Volt ram is about $130, but the heat savings is amazing...

If you are a gamer, go ahead and budget a graphics card, if you are kinda low on funds the i3 530 has a good graphics chip built into the CPU... Then you can get your card later into your build... Just plan ahead on the PSU though, no use buying 2 PSU's when you could do that right the first time...

• Jim

Read this -

"As Chance put it so elegantly a picture is worth a thousand words but I think I know what's going on. You enabled ACC, which means you probably unlocked the fourth core on the CPU. (Check the bottom row of CPU-Z for "Cores" - it's probably '4'.) You see, an X3 is burned as an X4 at the factory but when one X4 core doesn't pass the quality control test AMD disables that core and sells the CPU as an X3. Since Phenom II and Athlon II CPUs have ACC built into the CPU die you don't have to enable ACC for them. The odd thing is if you DO enabled ACC your BIOS and OS will then see the CPU as the original X4 but there are a couple of catches that go with the extra core.

First off, BIOS, CPU-Z, and the OS often see the CPU as a Phenom with a non-standard model number and without L3 cache, which is what you're reporting. Second, the on-die core temp sensor will no longer work. You'll still get a CPU temp in BIOS and in software programs, which is the motherboard CPU reading, but you won't get a core temp anymore - or if you do it will be some outrageous temperature. Lastly, the fourth core didn't pass the QC test so it may give you some instability. Most X3s will run as an X4 at stock speeds but may need more core voltage and they may not overclock as well, though that's not always the case. As with most things the impact varies from system to system."

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?...

See this also:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276677-28-unlock...

• Scott

in order to unlock cores you need a AMD motherboard that supports ACC..(Advanced Clock Calibration)...AMD chipsets that support it are the 790fx,790gx,790x all the way down to the 770...Right now im using a Asus M4A77TD that unlocks my Athlon II 425 tri core but that's it...its completely unstable when putting a load on it running prime95...you are really better off just buying a quad core if that's what you want.....

Also when I enable ACC to unlock the 4th core I get no temp readings on any of my cores...some are lucky and all goes fine but it does put added stress on your system running the unlocked cores...They were binned that way because the 3rd or 4th core is defective in some way...The Athlon II is just a crippled phenom II that has 1 or 2 bad cores.....

I have other boards and chips but don't mess with them...you can give it a try,you may get lucky and have no problems....but dont depend on turning a dual core into a quad core.....

here is a good read about the chipsets that can run or support ACC.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_700_chipset_serie...

Scott

Source(s): pc builder

As per my knowledge, By using Bios setting you can unlock extra core...I think your Processor is AMD X3 720.

It depends on Motherboards. Gigabyte 780 or 785G motherboards can be used, other brands I don't have Idea.

Also if u enabling extra core....it comes with the cost of extra heat....so u need good heat sink and fan.

Regards,

Doesn't look good. That Dell uses an AM2 socket while your cpu is AM3. Dell, like most other OEM PC vendors, rarely upgrades their BIOS to handle processors their PCs not originally offered as options.