What neighborhood in Seattle would you recommend living in?

It is possible that I will be relocated to the Seattle area this summer. We currently live in a small town outside of a big city. Our house is 75 years old, in a quiet safe neighborhood within walking distance of "downtown" where there are neat little shops, grocery store, barber, restaraunts, etc. There are always art festivals, music festivals, etc. in the park near our house.

If I were to relocate, I would be looking for a neighborhood within a thirty minute commute to my job in Tuckwila. This neighborhood needs to have the same casual small town vibe that me and my family are used to. I am looking for a home under $300k with 3 or more bedrooms. I would prefer an older home, preferably turn of the century Craftsman style. The house needs a yard for the dogs and a spot to park our RV. Good schools should be nearby.

Are my needs too specific? Does such a neighborhood exist? Please help me!

• Elle
    Best Answer

Whatever you pick, everything is pretty close to everything. You can take the bus from any of the major areas straight to seattle in the morning, and with traffic, you get there about the same time as the people who live closer and drive. Sometimes even faster. Tuckwila is RIGHT outside of seattle pretty much, so you're going to get that rush-hour traffic unless you live there.

Also, everywhere is safe. People on here are always saying be careful of neighborhoods...this place isn't safe...blah blah blah. No where in the world is safe, and the more people you have living in one area, the more problems you're going to have. It's a city, there's crime, get over it. It's just the way the world works. Actually, if you compare seattle to other major cities, we're one of the safest crime wise in the country. So, pick a neighborhood and city by what you like, and don't go by what people say. A lot of times, they don't know what they're talking about. For some reason here, people like to do this thing where they make crap up about other places near them to make their area seem more exclusive or high-class, pretty much like a better place to live or something, when really it's not. So, be aware of that.

I notice you said you are currently living somewhere that you can walk to downtown...unless you live in the city of Seattle, which is pricey, you won't be able to walk there. It's just the way the city is set up.

Also, the whole "small town" thing really isn't seattle style. We're really not into the small-town laid back thing...the closest thing I can think of to a "small town" feel would be puyallup or auburn, but still, those are cities. Idk, i would try puyallup or auburn. They're not close, but they might be what you're looking for.

First question is:

How much noise can you handle from planes flying over your house, your yard every 5 minutes? Keep in mind, many of the suggested south Seattle suburbs are right in the flight path of SeaTac airport.

You cannot get everything you want at the price you want. You will have to compromise on something.

Take the South Seattle neighborhood of Columbia city for example: It's got a great neighborhood vibe, wonderful place to live, many funky old houses, but you will not get enough space to park a RV, and you will not get good schools.

Several of the suggested south suburbs will be be the reverse of that situation, where many of the downtown's are little more than strip malls, bland 70's ranch style houses, but enough space to park a RV and much better schools.

You can have it all in Seattle, you just need at least two or three times your budget.

Research houses on Windermere, or John L. Scott (below) Come out, visit, see a half dozen properties and decide.

I grew up within a 30min commute of Tukwila. When I was kid we lived in Normandy Park. As an adult I bought a house in Burien. The entire area around there really feels more suburban then small town outside a big city.

Burien is cool. They actually have a small downtown that is reallyR up and coming. Its also an older area so you may actually find an older home you like. 75y/o might be tough as most of the south end is WW2 era and later.

Des Moines is a small town on the water just a little south east of Tukwila. My parents currently live here and its where I went to High School. Des Moines has a great little town vibe of its own. the more I think about it I would strongly suggest you check it out.

Another area to check out is Renton. Downtown Renton near the Boeing plant has many older homes and some cute shopping areas. I would say definilty worth a look. When you start getting into maple valley and coal creek you definilty in that typical suburb feel and then it moves to the out int he middlenowhere feel pretty fast.

This should give you a start. I loved growing up in the Southend. Seattle is a wierd place. People in the northend absolutly hate the southend and vise versa. I definilty prefer life in the southend. Check it out

• Sheila

I live in the U-District. It's safe, but not exactly the place where you can leave your house unlocked while you go the the store. There's a lot of stuff to do here, with all the shops and restaurants on the Ave and in U-Village. And Fremont isn't far away, so you've got easy access to that area as well. however, getting home from bumbershoot on Labor day weekend was a nightmare becuase the buses only run so late on such long distances on holidays, but if you have a car that wont be an issue. I am a poor college student by the way. And this is to thereast1: Bellevue and Redmond are not part of Seattle. They're on the Eastside and don't count.

If you want to be within walking distance of downtown and have a budget of $300,000 for a house with enough space for dogs to play and parking for a single car, let alone an RV, I’m afraid you’re out of luck.

If you can be a bit flexible with your criteria, there are some great options!

There are some great neighborhoods in Renton. The two school districts that service Renton are both good. There are plenty of homes in your budget. You’ll find a decent size yard for the dogs, room to park the RV and about a 15 minute commute to Tukwila. The downside: it’s not within walking distance of downtown and depending on the neighborhood, most of the houses were built since the 60’s.

Other places to consider, Federal Way (be VERY careful about the neighborhood), Kent or West Seattle. West Seattle will give you most of the criteria you’re looking for, but yard space is harder to come by and it will push your budget quite a bit.

Actually, for 300,000 and under, there are a lot more options than I would have thought -

You can go to www.windermere.com and drill down in their map to see all houses currently in the MLS. Just keep set your parameters for 3+ bedrooms and maximum price $300,000 and drill down in the Tukwila area and you'll see what is available.

That said, you probably won't find a place with all of your considerations - I think the "casual small town vibe" and the "turn of the century craftsman style" will be a push, especially if you are looking for a home within walking distance of that "casual small time vibe". As previously noted, most of the neighborhoods in the suburbs of Seattle are post WWII construction. And your more affordable neighborhoods will be nearer to the airport, so you'll have airport noise to deal with.

As for "good schools" - the best schools in this area would be in Bellevue or Mercer Island, which will be out of your commute parameters and price considerations. You can look at the Seattle times school reports at http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/schoolg... It includes area maps so you can see what district neighborhoods are in, and statistical information that can help you decide if a school district is "good enough".

One option not yet mentioned is West Seattle, though your price point might get you more in the White Center area of West Seattle which is a less desirable neighborhood, and most of these homes will lack RV parking.

You will have a tough time. Under $300k is a very small budget unless you will settle for a condo.

Some people think Tukwila is crime ridden. I don't think so but it is not Mercer Island. Des Moines is a little better image-wise but some parts suffer from airport noise. If you live near the light rail line, that will open up more of Seattle to within your 30 minute deadline. A little east of the airport has some areas that are a little better than Tukwila.

Some people might think that Federal Way is a little upscale of Tukwila (but still not snooty). But Federal Way is even farther from Seattle, if Seattle is important to you. Federal Way is closer to Tacoma.

I suggest SeaTac or upper Tukwila near Military Road. You'd be close

to major shopping but you'd have access there to quiet neighborhoods

and affordable housing. Just make sure the windows are soundproofed-

you'll be almost directly underneath a major flight path!

the best chance for everything you want is beacon hill. i like to call it georgetown heights. beacon hill is close to downtown seattle and the stadiums.in heavy traffic it take about 20 min to get to tukwila.georgetown and columbia city are just minutes away.all three communities have art/music festivals,restaurants,bars,a movie theatre,grocery stores,libraries,parks,dog parks(!),farmers market,a gym,yoga,bookstores,antique shops,hair salons...so much! the schools i dont know too much about my daughter is not ready for school yet.

there are several homes in my neighborhood that were built between 1903 and 1933 many sold for about $300k.my house sits between 2!

Source(s): born and raised in seattle/beacon hill!!

go to graham 29 miniutes away from tukwilla and very peaceful your near tacoma and seattle. Grand Firs is really nice and only 290 so your in luck