How long will it take to be fluent in Chinese?

Hello everybody . . . I am an Egyptian student who lives in America and has been taking a Mandarin Chinese class (level 1) for about 7 months in high school until now and I really enjoy everything about it (memorizing characters, the culture, and the people), I also think that it is very easy and fun to learn. I... show more Hello everybody . . . I am an Egyptian student who lives in America and has been taking a Mandarin Chinese class (level 1) for about 7 months in high school until now and I really enjoy everything about it (memorizing characters, the culture, and the people), I also think that it is very easy and fun to learn. I will also be in Chinese level 2 next year beside that I am learning vocabulary and dialogues on my own and will be studying Chinese on my own over summer. I am really dedicated to be fluent in Chinese since I wanna go live in China and have a family and all that soon in my life. So my question is how long will it take me to be sort of fluent (not 100%) in Chinese?? I also noticed that Chinese has the same difficulty as my home language (Egyptian Arabic) so that might help since I already speak a fairly hard language for lots of people to learn. Also, if you are mainland Chinese or have ever been to China, I wanted to know how China (mainland) is like and how people would feel about me as an Egyptian? From what I have seen in U.S mainland Chinese people are very nice and kind and they also have the same morals, ethics and even political views as the ones we had in my home country. Also I wanted to say that I am not one of those radical islamists or westerners who hate communism and the government of China. I am actullay a christian (doesn't really practice) who really respect the Chinese government, its great leaders like Chairman Mao Zedong, and its achievements. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate your answers.
14 answers 14