Why isn't anyone doing anything about the unfair treatment of religious minorities in Eritrea?

There are about 3,000 people in prison in Eritrea because they are religious minorities. Of these 3,000 there are about 60 Jehovah's Witnesses.

None of these people have been charged and none of them have been given a trial.

http://www.jw-media.org/eri/20100419.htm

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Eritrea is a relatively new country. It broke away from Ethiopia in 1993 -- making it the youngest country on the African continent.

Only registered religions are allowed to be practiced openly in Eritrea. Among other things, the government's registration system requires religious groups to submit personal information on their membership to be allowed to worship.

This is the country's laws and the religious minorities have broken them. Once their faith submits the necessary documentation to the Eritrean government, they will be granted the ability to practice that religion openly.

Is this fair? I don't think so. Governments should be secular and provide freedom of religion, in my opinion. However, no one is willing to challenge the sovereignty of Eritrea's government just to protect a handful of religious people that should've known better.

• 1 decade ago

Are you concerned about all 3000, or just the 60 Christians?

I will boycott all products from Eritrea

• zero
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Injustices that occur on the African continent have a history of being ignored by the rest of the world.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

bcuz nobody cares

and even if they did they would call upon more famous and popular superheroes to save the day rather than calling poor old El Grande Faggetto and then id be sad and upset like this ---> :(

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well that hapend when you preach igorance

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.