I got a speeding ticket but the cop had no lights and was invisible, is that legal?

I was speeding up to get onto the freeway, but I guess it was still considered to be a 35mph zone still. And out of no where this cop turns out behind me with all his lights and sirens on. He was hiding on a grass area on the side of the on ramp at 5:00 in the morning. He was in a black mustang, in the shadows with his blue police light off. I was under the impression that they cannot LEGALLY issue you a citation if there light is off. Is that true? Do I have any grounds for dismissal?

Best Answer

And what did the fact that you did not see him have to do with the fact that you were speeding?

I can imagine the logical consequences of your 'concept' here:

Cop: "You are under arrest for murder!"

Murderer: "No Fair! I didn't see you!"

Cop: "Oh - well have a nice day then."

We are under no legal obligation to give you warning that we are out enforcing the law.

It is an urban legend/myth that we must have parking lights on when conducting traffic enforcement from the side of the road.

You have no grounds for dismissal. However, you'll probably get a good laugh out of the judge if you present that case to them.

It's legal for the officer to do that. The speed limit sign is the "warning" that you might get ticketed for driving too fast. The patrol car does not need to serve that function.

No grounds for dismissal based on what is here ... probable verdict of guilty in traffic court.

• Bruce

Some departments have a "high visibility" policy where they are asked to keep at least their parking lights on at all times.

If you feel the officer violated policy, you need to file a complaint with the department. The judge has no jurisdiction over department policy, so the court will only be interested in the offense you are charged with.

Source(s): Law enforcement since 1991

If they are parked closer than 10 to 15 foot of a roadway, or on a road way, They have 15 min to set out there triangles,flares, or warning flashers, Same as any one else. Federal Law. Bet they never heard of that one,but it is the law.

Yep its legal. It totally sucks when they do that. Usually that either involves a bored cop, or someone who needs to give more tickets for whatever reason.

Life isn't fair!

Source(s): life

Perfectly legal.

EGADS !! .......... an INVISIBLE cop ????

First , it was Red Light cameras ............. and now invisible cops ?? A driver doesn`t have a chance anymore !!

Where will it all end ??

No, that's not true. It's what you do, not what the cop does.

It's legal.

Pay the fine(s).