Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 10 years ago

White Sapphire engagement ring....?

My partner and I have approx £750 to spend on an engagement ring and i have been looking in the stores and even online and you can only really get approx 0.25 of a carat for that amount of money. Which would be fine, bit i have large hands and the small diamonds just get drowned on my finger...

So after searching online for gemstone rings i have totally fallen for this ring...

http://www.paulwrightjewellery.com/index.php?main_...

What do you think?

I dont see the issue i think the ring is lovely! But should an engagement ring be a diamond? Seems i am getting so much more for my money and it is soooo pretty!

Any thoughts on this issue?

Favorite Answer

I had a white sapphire ring as my promise ring, and now I have a diamond. My sapphire ring is such a knock out ring. I highly recommend it. white sapphire stays glossy without cleaning, (I wash it when I wash my dishes with dishsoap, and its brilliant) diamonds contantly need cleaning every 6 months. I feel its whiter, and has brilliance where diamonds have more fire (picks up other color). I love my sapphire ring, its perfect for travel, I dont have to worry about my safety on vacations. Even when I ride the train, I dont have to worry. The only issue is, I have scretched my sapphire many times so make sure the edges are not chipping since its not as strong as a diamond, but still It has stood up to my very active lifestyle.

I think that is a lovely ring, and I really do enjoy white sapphires (and that setting is gorgeous). They are very white, and in certain lights may have a blue-ish, or almost lavender tint to them. A high quality sapphire will be very clear, although lower grades/cuts can look a little "cloudy" or "milky" at times. They give off plenty of "sparkle", and only a very little bit of "fire". Sapphires are very hard stones (about an 8 on the hardness scale), which makes them quite durable. 10k gold is actually an excellent choice for a ring you will be wearing every day... it has a lower gold content, making it much "harder", and will not scratch/dent/bend nearly so easily as a higher grade gold (like 14k) will. It can be sized just as easily as any other ring, by almost any jeweler. As far as suggesting shopping together for your ring with your future fiancee, you can bring it up in a conversation about marriage if you wish ("I'd love to show you a few rings that I've seen that I like!" or something along those lines). Show him some of the rings that have caught your eye, even if it's just this one. If he sees how much you love this one, he'll probably go ahead with it. You'll still be surprised by the proposal, I'm sure... so it's not like you're ruining the thrill by helping him find the perfect ring. ;)

If you love the ring - that's all that matters! You're the one is going to be wearing it for the rest of Your life. From looking at it, I can't even tell the difference of it being a diamond or a white sapphire.

The engagement right doesn't have to be a diamond... that is just tradition. I know a couple where the guy took a rock - agate I believe, and rounded it and put it on a ring and used it for the engagement ring. I know engagement rings which have pink stones. And I know one of a pearl. If you like it - it doesn't matter.

It's pretty!

An engagement ring by no means has to be a diamond. If you want a white sapphire, you go ahead and get one. You're the one who will be wearing it, so all that matters is that you like it. The lack of a diamond does not mean it is any less of a commitment. A rock is just a rock.

That ring is so pretty!

An engagement ring absolutely doesn't have to be a diamond. White sapphire ia a great colourless stone, though if you like sparkle, I would go with moissanite. Check out moissaniteco.com if you're interested. Then you really are getting so much more for your money.

I think it's lovely and really cool and unique that you want to do a white sapphire!

Diamonds are the tradition but who really cares? Your ring should suit you and fact is diamonds are just a lot of money and in my opinion they're kind of boring anyway.

Get the ring you love, no matter what anyone else says.

• White sapphires are lovely-and diamonds for e-rings have only become popular since WW 2, believe it or not...

I wear my husband's birthstone, a garnet.

Wear what YOU like...there is no 'rule' as far as what the stone must be.

• Hi

I marry many couples In Australia and quite a few of my brides avoid diamonds and select some knock out rings

be yourself

Do what YOU like

It's beautiful, i don't want a diamond engagement ring ether i want to get a big amethyst ring cause purple is my favorit color lol, get what makes YOU happy

• ?

You're the one that's going to be wearing the ring, all that matters is that YOU like it.