Need your help asked in TravelNepal · 1 decade ago

Looking for information on Trekking in Nepal?

Hi Guys,

I am a Sri Lankan national, who is planning to travel to Kathmandu for trekking. I have never done it before. Therefore, please advice me how should I reach any local agencies who can provide me a good trekking experience. Also, how much will it cost? If I want to rent the necessary equipments for trekking, would it be possible in Kathmandu? How much will it cost? What is the best Mountain for a beginner like me?

I really like to experience the typical Nepali life, villages. So that I do not want a fancy trekking package where Westerners would prefer. I would be happy if I can join any local trekkers whom I can also learn alot about Nepal, its people and culture.

Waiting for your answers....

Favorite Answer

Hi. I go to Nepal regularly and have done many treks there, both the popular routes like Everest Base Camp and Around Annapurna and also lesser-known routes like Dhaulagiri Circuit, Rau Chuli and Helambu.

If you really want to experience Nepali life, I would recommend staying away from the two most popular areas, Khumbu (Everest) and Annapurna. There are so many other options, such as Dolpa, Manaslu, Kanchenjunga and Ganesh Himal. However, I will say that as far as costs go, the more remote regions do not have the benefit of tea houses, so you must bring all your camping gear and food for the entire journey. This requires the hiring of porters, which adds to the expense. Trekking in tea houses, you will save on porters and be able to sleep indoors, with prepared meals. It is not that expensive.

One area you might enjoy, that has tea houses (for comfort and savings), is the Langtang and Gosainkund, coming back to Kathmandu through the Helambu. You will start out with some middle elevation hiking through the rhododendron forest, then up to the foot of the Langtang Himal, over a pass near the beautiful lakes of the Gosainkund, then back down through the hill country of Helambu, where you will see the diversity of Nepali culture. Because you are a beginner, I would recommend this area. However, it is still a difficult trek, and will take a long time. There are other, shorter possibilities in the area.

As for equipment, all of it can either be bought or rented in Kathmandu for not that much money.

I always trek with my friends at Thirdpole Expeditions in Kathmandu. They are honest and very organized, with good prices. http://www.expeditionnepal.com/ It is worth inquiring with them about the itinerary I recommended. Tell them Jonathan from the USA recommended you. As for costs, they will better be able to give you an idea on what to expect. But, in general, arranging a trek costs much less than alternative vacation options, and Thirdpole's prices are amongst the best in Nepal.

You will find the best trekking route known as Annapurna Trekking.

Advertising is a violation of community guidelines

Hey! Why don't you ask the same in Yahoo Search? Hopefully you will get lots of answers there.