Political Science Homework Help Quick?

I am working on an assignment for my political science class and i was wondering if anyone knew the answers to these questions. They are supposed to be like a paragraph long each. Please Help!

1. Compare and contrast the roles of political parties and interest groups in the political system. Evaluate whether political parties or interest groups best represent the view of the citizenry in the political process.

2. Identify and explain the significance of three Supreme Court cases.

Just so you all know, i am not having people do all my homework this is two questions out of 18 that i would just like some help with. Thank you very much :)

P.S. this is due tomorrow. so yeah.

• ideas
    Best Answer

Political parties appeal to a wide variety of people. They try to get as many voters as they can. Interest groups are narrow. Old folks, veterans, people who own guns, etc.

Parties run candidates under their own labels. IGs don't. You could be a Democrat for Congress, but you wouldn't be an AARPer for Congress.

Parties are quasi-public entities, heavily regulated by the government. IGs less so.

Parties give priority to controlling the personnel of government. IGs try to influence the existing government.

Parties have a unique relationship with their clientele. I may consider myself a Republican but never join the party. But to be in the AARP, I have to join and pay dues.

Generally, parties have been strong in times when IGs have been weak, and vice versa.

Three court cases in particular? How about Baker v. Carr, Marbury v. Madison, and Brown v. Board? Redistricting, judicial review, and school desegregation, in that order.

Good luck.

Source(s): BA, Political Science.

Supreme Court Cases:

Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896), upheld the constitutionality of racial segregation under the doctrine of "separate but equal".

Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, 347 U.S. 483 (1954), reversed Plessy declaring that state laws establishing separate public schools for black and white students and denying black children equal educational opportunities were unconstitutional.

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), deemed abortion a fundamental right, as well as the existence of a constitutional "right to privacy."

If I could help you ; I would but I do not know the answers to those questions