Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 10 years ago

Classic Music vs Modern Music?

i think the reason i like classic music is because it is more soulful and heartfelt. modern music has a lot more complexities and is more innovative, but i love the simple themes of old music and how muscians seemed more vulernable and real. what i mean by that is they didnt try to put on a fake tough guy act ya know what i mean?

i mean listening to the beatles sing and the sun (here comes the sun) and hope or the beach boys about getting around (in a fun almost innocent way) is so much more appealing than listening to lil wayne sing about things like being unfaithful or perverted stuff like lollipop

i think it says a lot of where we are as a society :(

dont get me wrong i like a lot of new stuff (mostly indie) but i just dont feel the passion or the simplicity/optimism of the 60s/50s ya know??

Best Answer

What do you mean by Modern Music?

What do you mean by Classic Music?

I prefer modern music (1980-2010), but modern music is different to me than what it is to you. When I say modern music, I'm talking about underground music. Especially metal, obviously. Its some of the most real and emotional music out there. I love the Beatles as well though, and trust me, it is A LOT more complex and innovative, by far, than Lil Wayne. I respect rap, but **** like that is just horrible.

DEFINITELY classic music.

These guys had so much talent, this is back when people actually entered into the business to entertain people, not to make money. Nowadays, it's all about the money. People have forgotten about the music.

Lyrics were beautiful and poetic, artists really put thought into them. Now...just look at Ke$ha's lyrics, and you'll see what has happened to this type of song writing. Or just take any song from some modern radio, and try to distinguish the instruments. It's virtually impossible. Everything is so mashed together - all I hear is screeching and smashing. Absolutely disgusting.

I really wish I had a time machine...few people to relate to with things like this (especially being a teenager).

Personally I also prefer classic, but not for the reasons you listed. For one, I don't think that modern music is more complex. The classic rock bands just appeal to me more because I find them more unique. So many times when I hear modern songs I find myself thinking that "this has been done before" or "this sounds just like so and so." Whatever. Just my opinion. By the way, I don't shun modern music or anything. I just find that I tend to like more classic rock.

Why is it a contest?

I like a lot of Classic stuff and a lot of new stuff.

And why is Lil Wayne your example of modern music? Why not Opeth or Muse or Radiohead or any number of great bands?

This will always be an ongoing discussion...Honestly, I believe it's all what you get into. Some of my best friends could never listen to the older (and much better stuff, in my opinion) that I listen to, just like I couldn't listen to their modern music.

I'm getting tired of seeing these questions. You can't put an age on music.

Also, you said Lil Wayne raps about being unfaithful. George Harrison cheated on his wife with Ringo's wife.

I like both. Mostly just the alternative rock music

Why is everyone asking this?!?

Just listen to whatever you like. It doesn't matter whether is new or old.