Is being black ALSO a state of mind?

Read the following quote: Tony Spearman, author of "Why Am I Black," was born to two white parents. He grew up in a mostly black town, worked at a historically black college, taught physics to predominantly black students. On every census since 1996, Spearman has marked one box: black.... show more Read the following quote:

Tony Spearman, author of "Why Am I Black," was born to two white parents. He grew up in a mostly black town, worked at a historically black college, taught physics to predominantly black students.

On every census since 1996, Spearman has marked one box: black.

"My wife got angry at me, my father got angry at me," said Spearman, 42. "They told me, 'You gotta be truthful!' I said, 'I am!' ... Race is a foolish thing. It has nothing to do with our humanness."

The quote comes from this article on the Census: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_o...

What do you make of this white man calling himself black? Is he a sellout in the same way that a black person would be looked at if he called himself white?