What is the Primary Job of the President of the United States?

Do you think it is to regulate the financial industry, keep the American people safe, if you were to choose the most important responsibility of the POTUS, etc., what would it be?

Is Barack Obama accomplishing it?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The President of the United States is the head of state and head of government of the United States. The president leads the executive branch of the federal government and is one of only two nationally elected federal officers, the other being the Vice President of the United States.

Among other powers and responsibilities, Article II of the U.S. Constitution charges the president to "faithfully execute" federal law, makes the president commander-in-chief of the United States armed forces, allows the president to nominate executive and judicial officers with the advice and consent of the Senate, and allows the president to grant pardons and reprieves.

NOT be the entire nations NANNY...

Source(s): 20 Jan 2013 THE COUNTDOWN IS ON!!!!
  • He MUST:

> Defend the Constitution of the United States

> Command the military.

> Give Congress information of the state of the union and recommend laws.

> Receive ambassadors and other public ministers.

> Take care that the laws be faithfully executed.

> Commission all the officers of the United States.

He MAY:

> Require the opinion of each of the executive departments relating to their duties.

> Grant reprieves and pardons.

> Make treaties, provided two thirds of the Senator approves.

> Nominate officers of the United States whose appointments are not otherwise provided for in The Constitution.

> On extraordinary occasions, convene & adjourn Congress.

He is FORBIDDEN:

> Everything not listed above.

• Depends on who you ask. Many people will give different answers depending on what THEY value the most. Personally, I think his immediate responsibility is to fix what's MOST broken upon his arrival to the White House. If the economy is the most immediate pressing issue (which it has been), and the financial industry's unregulated greed and exploitation is responsible for this (which it is), then yes, that should be priority one.

• Ken
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

The Oath of Office: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

President Obama is also expected to protect the people from the domestic enemies - can you not think that Wall Street, Medical Insurance Industry and Mortgage Lenders actually fit in that group?

He's actually doing very well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

I always thought before Obama it was to uphold the constitution and protect the american people but Obama has done just the opposite

• It used to be the commander-in-chief. They are supposed to guide our military and ensure proper order in the U.S. They also sign bills into law.

Ever since Obama came into office, all he has ever accomplished is bowing to world leaders and watching his approval rating drop.

• 10 years ago

Defend the nation from enemies both foreign and domestic.

Uphold the US Constitution.

Obama is a dismal failure on both. He has no respect for the Constitution and he is the enemy

• 10 years ago

The job is multi-faceted and any major aspect might be the President's primary job at any given time.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Same as any other CEO:

Maximize profits for the Shareholders.

• 10 years ago

Keep the slaves quite and the masters happy...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.