anyone know of these kind of books?

i love reading addiction books. it just interests me so much.

iv never been addicted to anything in my life, i dont even smoke cigarettes, so just the path these books explore and the spiral of the addiction just grabs me. fictional or nonfiction i dont mind.

iv read books like candy and crank and glass. and i enjoyed them so much! also dreamseller, by brandon novak.

anyone who knows of books like this.. would be great if you could let me know :) lol

Favorite Answer

*Junk by Melvin Burgess

*Smashed by Koren Zailckas

*Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp

*Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

*Wasted by Mark Johnson

*Tweak by Nic Sheff

• ?

I actually also quite enjoy reading books about addiction. It's just a fascinating topic.

Scar Tissue > Anthony Kiedis

Trainspotting > Irvine Welsh

A Million Little Pieces > James Frey

My Friend Leonard > James Frey (this is the sequel to A Million Little Pieces and tells of James' life after he is released from rehab and how his integration back into normal society progresses)

My Booky Wook > Russell Brand

I've read all of these and thoroughly enjoyed them, so this is a personal recommendation. You probably won't enjoy My Booky Wook if you don't enjoy Russell Brand's comedy. But he's very witty, so I don't see why you wouldn't. His take on addiction is a little different to the tales told in the other books I mentioned. His is lighter. Not fluffy and certainly not light in a bad way, but he just takes the intense topic of addiction and turns it round. It really makes you laugh.

read "Wintergirls" by Laurie Halse Anderson. it's not about drugs so much. but the main character is anorexic and she self injures. anorexia and cutting are more like addictions than mental diseases. you have to treat them much the same way. and people who develop these addictions act very much like drug addicts. it also deals with her friend's bulimia and the way they feed off each other's problems.

Requiem for a Dream