can lime wire kill your computer?

ok, i basically have a computer on steroids that is used for lots of gaming. i had something called emule before but for some reason it just stopped working. i hear that lime wire can kill your computer or really slow it down (and i cant stand slow computer while gaming). i also don't really want to get itunes, so can you give me a opinion before i download it.

Best Answer

Limewire won't, but things you download with it can.

LimeWire (the program) does slow your computer a little bit, but what will kill your computer is the stuff you download from there. LimeWire has been the root cause of SO many computers that I've had to re-install from scratch, simply because the users downloaded all SORTS of viruses, trojans, worms and rootkits. And the users just re-install LimeWire (despite me telling them not to) and complain a week later when it happens again.

One user blamed ME for "not doing the job right the first time"!

• Sarah

I used Limewire on a laptop and a self-restoring trojan virus got on it. Even when I restored the computer, it still runs incredibly slow (like a 20 min startup). I had to get rid of it and get an iMac instead, which turned out to be a better choice anyways. Regardless, I would never ever use limewire again, at least not without really powerful antivirus protection.

• Abby

You can try this boot your computer then press F8 which will take you into safe mode, then go to add and remove programmes and uninstall it. You will need to reboot then run anti virus software and ad-ware software, if they come up with anything bad delete them then turn off system restore and turn back on again. Limewire is well known for being stubborn and fills your hard drive with ad-ware. This should work. Good luck.

I used limewire for a couple months and realized it did quite a number on my computer. So, I switched to Frostwire and love it. I would recommend this program for downloading. You can find it free at download.com.

No peer to peer or filesharing program will do any harm to your computer - but using it to download files from strangers will. (It's like razor blades - no blade will hurt you, but slitting your throat will.) If you use Limewire to download legitimate torrents from known-good sites (for instance, Neosmart uses the torrent protocol to let you download Windows recovery disks - http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-rep... ), you're completely safe. But download movies or music and you're slitting the computer's throat.

I have had ALOT of problems with Limewire as have alot of other people that I know.

I was using Bearshare for music and movies but recently found this.... http://www.frostwire.com/

Frostwire works rather well and it's FREE. I don't have any opinion on iTunes...I use Windows Media, I hate Apple's formats.

• limewire itself wont kill ur computer bbut sum of the viruses that you can get can. just dont download shady files and use an anti virus program and you should be fine

Limewire is known to be riddled with viruses. I never had any problems with it making my computer run slow, but eventually my computer became so riddled with viruses that it had to be wiped completely.

• ?

Just don't play games while you download stuff. the music only takes a min but videos can take an hour.