Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

U.S. constitution against discrimination?

Constitution states that discrimination is wrong right? At least I think, but I was wondering if anyone could give me the direct passage that states that please I really want/need to read it.

not homework. I just want to learn more about it specifically.

ptp, that is actually why I wanted to read what exactly is considered discrimination by law. I think gay marriage bans should be considered discrimination but since the bans still exist obviously the government does not consider it discrimination. Now my question is why is it not considered discrimination?

• Favorite Answer

The most important expansion of civil rights in the United States was the enactment of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments. The Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery throughout the United States. See U.S. Const. amend. XIII. In response to the 13th Amendment, various states enacted "black codes" which were intended to limit the civil rights of the newly free slaves. In 1868 the 14th Amendment was passed to counter the "black codes" and ensure that no state "shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of the citizens of the United States... [or] deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, [or] deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." See U.S. Const. amend. XIV. Congress was also given the power by section five of the Fourteenth Amendment to pass any laws needed for its enforcement.

Us Constitution Discrimination

It's not in the constitution. It's against the law. Usually. Gays are often discriminated against but unless it's severe no one does anything. Like there used to be a lot of cases of people bullying kids until they commited suicide and only in like the past 20 years have people started to consider it a serious crime.It still happens a lot that people hold protests and just hold up signs that say "fags are going to hell" and other things. That is discrimination but it isn't illegal.

• Ernest

Homework, homework, homework. What to do?