Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Where do Messianic Jewish Rabbi's get their training?

Do they attend a Yeshiva University or Bible College? I'd be interested in hearing the answers.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm a Messianic Jew and know a good amount about Messianic training. Unfortunately only some of the avenues of education can be presented here. There are many more.

In-depth education from an accredited University is required to become a Messianic Rabbi. They need as much education as a Conservative or Reform Rabbi does. Here's some facts about their education.

FOR RABBIS:

Here are just some of the courses offered in Colleges having Messianic courses. These would be for those interested in a degree or Smichah program:

Pastoral Holistic Ministry, Pastoral Holistic Counseling, Theology/Religious Studies, All Messianic Missionaries and Rabbis know about Hebrew Synagogue forms of worship and liturgy, Shabbat observance and laws, Holy Day observance and laws, Extra biblical observances, Kosher laws, Life cycle events, Talmudic study, Zohar, Midrash Rabbah, Lawful forms of rabbinic interpretation of Scriptures, Rabbinic teaching methods

Most importantly, Messianic rabbis must know about Oral Law and how it should be used in the messianic community. Here are some very accomplished and recognized Messianic Leaders. I'll let their education speak for itself - each one has a short bio:

http://www.messianicword.com/rabbis.html

Here's the criteria for one being ordained a Messianic Rabbi, as stated by one particular synagogue:

"The calling of a person to the Rabbinate is a serious and humbling experience. No one should enter into this calling lightly, or for selfish gain. Do to the preponderance proliferation of many self proclaimed "rabbis," it is important that a firm definition and qualifications be established.

The Union of Conservative Messianic Jewish Synagogues does not agree with the popularly practiced procedure of a Christian Pastor becoming a Messianic Rabbi with no formal training or Jewish Heritage.

Would established mainline Churches would accept a Rabbi without any formal training on Christian Theology? Not Likely! Then why should Jewish Synagogues, Messianic, Reformed, Conservative, or Orthodox accept someone not properly trained.

CRITERIA FOR RABBI:

Jewish by birth or conversion

Have lived a predominately Jewish Lifestyle for a minimum of 3 years (preferably more, this includes secular Jews who have been away from the community)

Full identification as a Jew

Formal Yeshiva Training which must include: Torah, Talmud, Shulkan Aruch, Jewish History, Jewish Thought, and Jewish Lifestyle

For UCMJS rabbis, formal acceptance of UCMJS Halacha

CHARLES FEINBERG CENTER. . .

The Charles L. Feinberg Center is an accredited Master of Divinity program in Messianic Jewish Studies. The program is designed to train those with a call to full-time Jewish ministry as Messianic congregational leaders, outreach workers or educators.

These unique training needs are the focus of a program emphasizing biblical languages, Hebrew and Greek exegesis, and the understanding of rabbinic texts. Essential matters of theology and practice are treated through intensive study of Jewish law, religion, culture, sociology and history.

Students are encouraged to explore this rich heritage, and to develop effective methods to reach and serve today's Jewish community. Practical areas of Jewish ministry are addressed through courses in apologetics, Jewish-Christian relations, pastoral care and counseling.

The Master of Divinity program is a professional degree designed to be completed in three years of full-time graduate study.

THE SEMINARY:

•Tuition scholarships and financial aid

•Graduate classes in Messianic studies

•A summer program offered in Los Angeles and offer full-time studies offered in New York City

•Messianic Jewish studies integrated throughout the curriculum

•Specialized library of over 10,000 works in Manhattan for Messianic Jewish studies and an extensive research library on the Southern California campus.

•Practical field training through mentoring and internships

•Professors with academic and Jewish ministry experience

•Opportunities to attend lectures and cultural events, and take classes at Jewish institutions in Southern California and New York

PARTNERSHIP AND ACCREDITATION:

Talbot School of Theology, a graduate institution of Biola University, is partnering with Chosen People Ministries to provide this Master of Divinity program in Messianic Jewish Studies.

MBI YESHEVA. Why?

To receive a quality Messianic Jewish education

To prepare for professional Messianic Jewish ministry

To have your Messianic ministry certified and recognized

To secure a Messianic Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master or Doctoral degree

THE MESSIANIC BIBLE INSTITUTE - YESHIVA:

Was formed to serve the unique need of those who feel especially called to Messianic studies and leadership, but cannot attend on-site classes.

MBI Yeshiva is both a Bible Institute and a Yeshiva. Ye

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Messianic Jewish Studies

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Where do Messianic Jewish Rabbi's get their training?

Do they attend a Yeshiva University or Bible College? I'd be interested in hearing the answers.

Source(s): messianic jewish rabbi 39 training: https://biturl.im/sUp7I
  • 1 decade ago

Being jewish is determined by birth lineage, or conversion. Normally the bloodline is passed down on the mother's side.

My Dad was Jewish, my Mom wasn't.

Whether or not messianic jews get their inspiration in Christ, know that they are either jewish or not depending on their lineage, and not by what they believe.

Understanding that, know that the case against them, which I was studying today, is based scripturally on an apostate book, which I believe, though am not certain of, is the Unitarian Bible. That version of the story is rooted in secular humanism. Many of the quotations that non messianic jews believe are attributable to Christ are not actually found at all in the canonical gospels.

Now, I am not anti semitic. What I think that non messianic jews might find out is that there is going to be some guy who shows up that will deceive them into believing that he is Mosiach. He will be known by his works.

That's all I have to say on that subject. I cannot tell Jews what to believe. I am a gentile and a christian. Who am I to tell them about God?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ami
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The same place pastors get their Christian education. No Jewish organization would give them semicha (rabbinic ordination).

EDIT: Oy vey. Such misinformation.

Jewishness is passed through the mother, yes, but it has nothing to do with "blood." That really is a Nazi concept--the idea of Jewishness as some sort of race or ethnicity (which it isn't). Jewishness passes through the mother because of Jewish religious law (halakha), and if a Jew, whether through his/her mother or through conversion to a branch of Judaism, converts to some other religion, they are NO LONGER a Jew.

"Messianic Jews," even if they were Jewish to begin with, are NO LONGER Jewish because they have adopted non-Jewish beliefs which put them in a state of apostasy.

• 1 decade ago

No Jewish organization in the world would let them through their doors.

• 1 decade ago

Yeshivah University would not allow it.

They go to a regular Baptist Seminary or something of the like.

They aren't Jews anyway.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Rabbi School

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They find licenses in cracker jacks boxes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.