Rach asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Is the Last Name Proctor Italian?

I've been wanting to know this for a while. I have Italian relatives, and I was interested in knowing if my last name was Italian. Please let me know. thankss(:

• Fitz
    Favorite Answer

It's English. Proctor is an occupational last name. Occupational surnames were derived from the primary activity of the bearer. It was originally a name for someone who worked as a steward and comes from the Old English word: proketour. The term was used most commonly of an attorney in a spiritual court, but also of other officials such as collectors of taxes and agents licensed to collect alms on behalf of lepers and enclosed orders of monks.

As long as your dad's ancestors are from Italy.. you would have Italian heritage, even if your last name was Smith. The origin of a person is what matters. Names are just a label for convenience.