? asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

What are some of your absolute favorite quotes?

from books, music, people, whatever.

• Jo W
    Favorite Answer

These are all my favorites -

INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES -

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” - Anatole France

“Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.” - Pamela Vaull Starr

“You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

“Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.” - Thomas Alva Edison

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” - Albert Einstein

“He is able who thinks he is able.” - Buddha

“Recognition is the greatest motivator.” - Gerard C. Eakedale

“Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.” - Albert Einstein

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.” - Zig Ziglar

“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” - Confucius

“One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

“Drink to me” - Pablo Picasso

SAD/HEARTBROKEN QUOTES -

“Though lovers be lost love shall not.” - Dylan Thomas

“He's also there for people who have lost loved ones.” - Don McClure

“Parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell.” - Emily Dickinson

“To be with a man who hasn't tried every line, who hasn't broken up with a woman every which way you can break up with them, is kind of nice.” - Uma Thurman

“It's afterwards you realize that the feeling of happiness you had with a man didn't necessarily prove that you loved him” - Marguerite Duras

LOVE QUOTES -

“Came but for friendship, and took away love.” - Thomas Moore

“Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it.” - Swedish Proverb

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” - A. A. Milne

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” - Judy Garland

“True love always makes a man better, no matter what woman inspires it” - Alexandre Dumas Père

“I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.” - Arthur Rubinstein

“Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.” - Charles Caleb Colton

“Woman reaches love through friendship; man reaches friendship through love” - Mohammed Hijazi

“I love you,

Not only for what you are,

But for what I am

When I am with you.

I love you,

Not only for what

You have made of yourself,

But for what

You are making of me.

I love you

For the part of me

That you bring out;

I love you

For putting your hand

Into my heaped-up heart

And passing over

All the foolish, weak things

That you can’t help

Dimly seeing there,

And for drawing out

Into the light

All the beautiful belongings

That no one else had looked

Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you

Are helping me to make

Of the lumber of my life

Not a tavern

But a temple;

Out of the works

Of my every day

Not a reproach

But a song.

I love you

Because you have done

More than any creed

Could have done

To make me good

And more than any fate

Could have done

To make me happy.

You have done it

Without a touch,

Without a word,

Without a sign.

You have done it

By being yourself.

Perhaps that is what

Being a friend means,

After all.” - Roy Croft

“I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.” - Pietro Aretino

“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.” - Roy Croft

“You're my sweetheart to the max. I love you like Crispy Critters.” - Wesley Willis

“Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.” - William Arthur Ward

“You taught me to love fearlessly and to open up my heart. I've never known anyone like you. I love you to no end.” - Phil Martin

“Some people never say the words 'I love you'. It's not their style to be so bold. Some people never say those words: 'I love you' But, like a child, they're longing to be told.” - Paul Simon

LIFE QUOTES -

“The resurrection gives my life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what my circumstances.” - Robert Flatt

“Once they move, they're gone. Once you move, life starts over again.” - Jim Hinkle

“When you feel that you have reached the end and that you cannot go one step further, when life seems to be drained of a

Source(s): Quotesdaddy.com/quote/103577/brad-johnson/and-so-they-wait-mothers-wives-and-daughters-wait Quotesdaddy.com/quote/251498/william-jefferson/i-tell-folks-all-the-time-im-glad-i-was-able-to-start Quotesdaddy.com/quote/77089/bernice-johnson-reagon/lifes-challenges-are-not-supposed-to-paralyze-you Quotesdaddy.com/quote/1387057/tony-g/the-longest-journey-through-life-is-down-the-path Quotesdaddy.com/quote/1174718/abraham-lincoln/and-in-the-end-its-not-the-years-in-your-life-that Quotesdaddy.com/quote/140313/byrd-baggett/look-at-life-through-the-windshield-not-the-rear-view Quotesdaddy.com/quote/232683/w-m-lewis/the-tragedy-of-life-is-not-that-it-ends-so-soon-but Quotesdaddy.com/quote/920301/john-lennon/life-is-what-happens-to-you-while-youre-busy-making Quotesdaddy.com/quote/57247/arthur-rubinstein/i-have-found-that-if-you-love-life-life-will-love Quotesdaddy.com/quote/48719/anthony-robbins/most-people-fail-in-life-because-they-major-in-minor
  • Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. James Dean

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. John A. Shedd

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. William Jennings Bryan

Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll. Author Unknown

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons. Love yourself, trust your choices, and everything is possible. Cherie Carter-Scott

If the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart.Then in living - I have made my mark. Thomas L. Odem Jr

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. Dr. Seuss

Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old. Jonathan Swift

Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light. Norman B. Rice

The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart. Elisabeth Foley

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. Les Brown

You learn to like someone when you find out what makes them laugh, but you can never truly love someone until you find out what makes them cry. Author Unknown

Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it. Swedish Proverb

Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad. P.D. East

Don't look where you fall, but where you slipped. African Proverb

Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. Lao-Tzu

He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for. Moroccan Proverb

You only live once; but if you live it right, once is enough. Adam Marshall

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. Buddha

Some Sites:

http://quotegarden.com/

http://www.brainyquote.com/

http://quotationspage.com/

http://thinkexist.com/

Have a nice day! :)

You can do anything you set your mind to man- eminem

I must break you- Ivan Drago

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure-Marianne Williamson

With the faith of a mustard seed you can move mountains- Bible

Only god can judge me-Tupac Shakur

Its not how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit- Rocky Balboa

Oh, Hey White, i didn't know Natzi camp got out til 8, did you decide to skip arts and crafts- Peter Dodgeball

I dont sleep because sleep is the cousin of death- B.I.G

Dont let no-one tell you aint beautiful, be proud of who you are- Eminem

i have loads i could keep going lol, overall favourite is the first one i put

• kaiser

Speak your brain...despite the fact that your voice shakes - Maggie Kuhn - Life is what occurs to you whilst you are busy making different plans. - John Lennon - It's visible that a few of the issues I have are the influence of ways matters have been while I used to be developing up. So, right here I am spending the relaxation of my existence agony for persona trends I on no account requested for....Where is the justice in THAT? - Peter McWilliams -

"The camera only goes where the cameraman points it."

Interpreted: Don't accept one point of view as the absolute truth. The "cameraman" only shows you the view from inside his lens because that's all he wants you to see. The WHOLE truth resides in what's outside the view of his lens. Look for it and find your own truth and don't let others think for you.

If you apply this to every aspect of your life, you'll do yourself and society a huge favor.

Resolve to be tender with the young,

Compassionate with the aged,

Sympathetic with the striving, and

Tolerant with the weak and wrong...

because sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

From The Blues Brothers; "What kind of music you play here?" "We got both kinds, country AND western"

From Jaws: "You're gonna need a bigger boat"

From Airplane!: "Smoking or non-Smoking?" "Smoking" (many other great lines and sight gags in this classic)

"I'M IN DESPAIRRRRRRRR"

Hoyah.

Oh, and "OH MY GOD EDWARD, I CAN'T HEAR YOUR HEARTBEAT! I THINK YOU'RE DEAD!" From a fluffy FMA story.