my mom doesnt want me to continue horse back riding...?

so my mom doesnt really care where i ride at. i have found a TERRIFIC barn where ive made loads of friends, and really developed my skills and the instructor is great. its like a second home. well were moving to a new town, but the barn i currently go to is only about 20 min away. she wants me to go to a barn where its 5 min away... but i really dont want to. and my dad is more understanding, and knows how important horse back ridin is to me... so how do i get my mom on the same page?

o and she all together just doesnt want me to ride.

no my parents arent together, and my mom doesnt really pay for lessons. or drive me to lessons besides every once in a while so ya

hahahah henrietta... theyve been divorced since i was 2... there is no emotional pain or watever crap...

Favorite Answer

Talk to your mom with you dad there. Tell her what you just told us. Also, throw in the "It teaches me responsibility, maturity, and how to keep a cool head in a scary situation." If she understands how you feel about it, then she'll be more likely to let you continue. My mom didn't want to let me get back on after I fell off back in November and got a concussion, but she knows what riding means to me so she did let me get back on and I'm so happy to be riding again.

Talk to them both in a calm and mature way about how riding has benefited you and why you feel it's important. Ask your mom specifically why she doesn't want you to ride anymore and try to come up with a comprimise. There are some things like money and transportation that are understandable concerns. If going to this new barn is easier for your family, you may just have to try it if you want to continue riding.

Maybe give the new barn a try, you may like it even more that the other one! If it doesn't work out there, you will have more ground to stand on when it comes to talking to your Mom about going back to the other barn. At least then you will be able to say you tried it and it just didn't work out.

It sounds as though your parents are playing "piggy-in-the-middle" with you. Unfortunately this often happens when parents don't get on. Don't argue or make matters worse by trying to play off one against the other. Weather the storm and wait until it blows itself out. There may be less of a problem than you think.

Source(s): I used to be a teacher so I do know what effect split-ups between parents can have on the children. It's very sad but estranged parents often use their children as a weapon against each other.