Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 10 years ago

Safety school suggestions?

I need 2 safety schools to apply to. I'm looking at University of Chicago and Brown as my top two "target" schools, and taking their acceptance rates into consideration, it's probably obvious why I need some schools that I like equally and will definitely get into.

My parents say 40-50% acceptance rate would be ideal, and preferably well endowed with a good English or Creative Writing program. And any school over 10,000 is a no-no for me.

Thanks for the suggestions if you have any!

By endowment, I don't mean money-wise. I was just saying that I would want it to have a good English program.

My GPA is about a 3.9, my ACT is 31. I just thought those scores were assumed from Brown and U of C being my top two schools. Sorry! I hope that helps. :)

• Tom
    Favorite Answer

40-50% acceptance is actually a little out of the "safety" range, but I'll assume there's a good reason you've applied to one of the most difficult colleges to get into in the country (Brown) and that it works as a safety range for you.

Without a good idea about location preferences, I'm sticking to the eastern half of the country. Also, I didn't search based on having an English program, considering that about 99.9% of colleges will have one. These are among the 74 colleges that a College Board search turns up that meet your size limit, have an acceptance of 50-75% (no fine tuning on their site) and have a creative writing program:

Adrian College - Adrian, Michigan

Hofstra University - Hempstead, New York

University of North Carolina at Wilmington - Wilmington, North Carolina

These are among the 33 that are the right size, east of the Mississippi and have acceptance rates below 50% (individual schools' rates are listed):

Agnes Scott College - Decatur, Georgia (46%)

Bard College - Annandale-on-Hudson, New York (33%)

Brandeis University - Waltham, Massachusetts (40%)

Bucknell University - Lewisburg, Pennsylvania (30%)

Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (36%)

Elon University - Elon, North Carolina (48%)

Emory University - Atlanta, Georgia (30%)

Gettysburg College - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania (40%)

Hamilton College - Clinton, New York (30%)

Oberlin College - Oberlin, Ohio (34%)

Trinity College - Hartford, Connecticut (41%)

University of Miami - Coral Gables, Florida (44%)

I included some that are a little more selective than your target range, mostly because there are some awfully good schools there with rates between 30% and 40%.

If I was picking two for myself or for either of my kids, I'd pick among Bucknell, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, Gettysburg, Miami and UNC Wilmington (although the last two are a bit over 10,000 undergrads).

May I suggest that to receive reasonable answers, you repost the question and include your unweighted GPA, SAT scores or expected scores, and the part of the country in which you would like to go to college. Also explain why the college should be well endowed. Do you need financial aid from it? Most answerers are not going to have endowment information.

• xo379

I would suggest looking at:

Skidmore

Gettysburg

Wake Forest

Fairfield U (you might really like this one)

Occidental

Pepperdine

Kenyon (a bit harder than the others)

Trinity

Bard

considering how low you SAT and GPA is...i would say Stonehill, Rutgers, and Fairfield...Really dude, you are one slacker for getting those grades! Maybe in college you can get your act together and transfer.