When I feel the urge or need to curse, I still swear up a blue streak like a Christian. There are reasons I choose to still do this:
1) French-Canadians have a wonderful litany of curse words. The true sign of a proper french-Canadian is the ability to swear for 2 minutes straight without repeating oneself. It just gives a much wider repertoire of subtle nuances that the English language does not convey.
2) Out of respect for the Gods, I do not tend to use their names when cursing. I only curse in moments of extreme frustration or pain (like when smacking one's thumb with a hammer), and I wouldn't want to offend Thor or Odin by utilizing their name in a moment of anger.
3) I don't care if I swear using another God's name that I don't believe in for venting my frustration.
However, when using expressions in common speech when anger or frustration are not present, then I use more Heathen terms, like:
- by the twenty and four balls of the Aesir (you know, 12 Aesir Gods)
- by Loki's distended nut-sack (the myth where he made Skadhi laugh)
I can't think of the rest right now... not enough coffee in my system.