Osk asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 10 years ago

Why doesn't beer or some other alcoholic drinks have nutritional information?

I know this has been asked before by someone else, but I am asking again:

(Original Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200809... )

I already know where to find it, that's not what I'm asking. I understood it to be law that every food and drink product (even water!) must carry nutritional information and ingredients listing and yet, even American beers don't carry this information. It is not on the bottle, the six pack, or the case. What I want to know is: what loophole have they found and exploited?

Okay, you guys are thinking, BUT if WATER which has NO ingredients and NO nutritional value has to carry the label that says so, why doesn't beer (even IPA which has 190 calories, 20g Carbohydrates, and has more ingredients than water) I don't want to hear "well, the nutrition isn't much so..." I want legal information! With a source!!!

------------------

Only Alcoholic Drink that I have seen with a Nutritional Fact Chart and Ingredients is Woodchuck Hard Cider

Best Answer

Here is your source (the FDA's website):

http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/ConstituentUpda...

In short, beer (and some other alcoholic drinks) fall under the jurisdiction of the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) regulatory authority (no longer the ATF), and are therefore not under the authority of the Food and Drug Administration. The requirement to label food products comes from the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act which vest the FDA with the authority to require labeling of certain/most foods. However the FDA does not have the authority to regulate "foods" that are under the jurisdiction under the TTB.

The reason you have seen nutrition labels on Woodchuck Hard Cider is more subtle. The statutory language that authorizes the TTB to regulate beer doesn't just use the word beer without first defining it. The Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA Act) provides a rather precise definition of the beverages it grants the TTB the authority to regulate. As recently as 2008 the TTB released an opinion which states that beverages that do not fall within the specific definitions provided in their enabling statute (for example: if a beverage is not made with barley or hops, it is not beer. i.e. hard apple cider), than it falls outside the authority of the TTB and within the jurisdiction of the FDA and is therefore subject to the labeling requirements that the FDA sets out.

Hope this helps.

If you are curious you can do a little internet research to find the nutrition information for most alcoholic beverages. And to respond to some people who already tried to answer this question.. maybe people are interested in calories? carbs? sugar? and some alcoholic beverages have vitamins and minerals too, so it's not stupid to want to know the nutrition facts. I don't really know if you wanted to actually know the nutrition facts or just why they don't put the label on, but I guess if its the latter I didn't really answer your question