when you turn a guitar tuner toward you does it make the string tighter or looser?

i'm tuning my acoustic guitar and i want to make the strings tighter, so do i turn the tuners at the top of my guitar toward or away from me?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

If your guitar headstock is the standard whereas three tuners are on one side and three tuners are on the left you would tighten the first three strings (on the right of the headstock) by tuning them toward you. To tighten the top three strings that are on the left you would turn the knobs away from you.

On guitars with a headstock with all the tuning knobs on top the strings should be tightened by tuning them away from you.

Source(s): Guitar picker of 53 years
  • 10 years ago

It can be kind of confusing to use terms such as left or right or towards you and away from you. This depends on how you hold the guitar when you tune up.

First you will need to make sure that the strings are wound the correct way around the post. If you have them the wrong way, then everything gets reversed... The strings shall run as straight as possible from the nut to the tuner and then be turned on the inside of the tuning post. If you have problems with this, I strongly suggest you go to youtube and search for videos on how to fasten strings properly - there are tons of videos showing how it's done on acoustic (nylon and steel) as well as electric guitars.

When you have the strings fastened correctly, hold the guitar in playing position. The tuners which are closest to you (on the upper side of the headstock) will raise the pitch when you turn them counter clockwise, clockwise lowers the pitch.

If you have tuners on both sides of the headstock, the tuners on the other side of the headstock (the ones closest to the floor) are mirrored - they work the other way around.

This all sounds kind of confusing (kind of hard to explain in words), so it is really best to have someone show it to you - or you go watch one of those movies. It is in reality, very simple and straight forward.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6u5uyT1UJM

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): 40+ years of setting up, repairing, playing and dealing with guitars.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

It depends on how the guitar is strung.

Play a note and move the tuner a bit, if it goes higher, that is the way that makes the strings tighter.

• 10 years ago

Depends on your headstock, If you have a standart headstock with 3 tuners on the left and 3 on the right then turning it towards you will make the string tighter.

If you have a headstock with 6 tuners on the left side it will still make your sting tighter.

But if you have a headstock with 6 tuners on the right side (like me) you'll make them looser.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

All guitar tuning machines work the same way:

clockwise = looser

counterclockwise = tighter

This is the same whether the guitar has six on one side in a row or three on each side.

Source(s): Long time pro guitarist
  • 10 years ago

Usually to the left means its too loose and the right means too tight.

Try to apply this to your tuner.

For future referance...a "loose string" is called a flat note and a "tight string" is called a sharp note.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Try it and see!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.