Examples of black men unfairly tried in U.S. cases?

Hi-

I need examples of U.S. court decisions (cases), that showed unfairness in ruling between white men and black men. For example, a case that may show an unfair trial for a black man suspected of rape (i.e. Scottsboro case), and then a similar case where a white man is, say, not prosecuted for rape of, say, a poor black woman.

I'm focusing on U.S. history from 1920s-1940s, so around that time, preferably. Just a list of some court cases that show a miscarriage of legislation (i.e. perhaps: too hasty a charge of guilt against black people, even with sufficient evidence proving innocence, and then, on the opposite end: not a fair prosecution against a white person, especially when crime committed against a black person). Etc. etc.

Hope I got my point across. Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Update:

In summary: need court cases that show a similar crime but different decisions (due to race or whatnot). And I need them to be within the 1920-1940s, give or take some years. Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

[PDF]

State of New York Court of Appeals

145k - Adobe PDF - View as html

This case stems from a dispute over pension benefits between the first and ... defendant would rather have a jury of 12 than a single judge decide between life ...

courts.state.ny.us/courts/appeals/summaries/CaseSumJan03.pdf

#

Major Supreme Court cases still to be decided

Highlights of some high-profile cases that the Supreme Court will decide before finishing its work for the summer: _Voting rights: At stake is the federal ...

huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/16/major-supreme-court-cases_n... - 160k - Cached

#

McClesky v. Kemp

... the cases involving black defendants and white victims; 8% of the cases involving white ... and black victims; and 19% of the cases involving white defendants and black victims. ...

lilt.ilstu.edu/teeimer/Court Cases/McCvKemp.htm - 219k - Cached

#

[PDF]

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT ...

68k - Adobe PDF - View as html

White seeks compensatory and punitive damages, and requests that ... In this case, the court finds defendants have not. violated White's constitutional rights ...

www.vawd.uscourts.gov/OPINIONS/TURK/WHITEV.HAINES.MTD.PDF

#

Case Summary for May 25, 2006 -- 2 p.m. docket

... PREPARED BY THE COURT'S STAFF FOR THE INTEREST AND CONVENIENCE OF THE READER. ... THE COURT AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY OPINION OF THE COURT ON THE MERITS OF A CASE. ...

courts.mo.gov/SUP/index.nsf/...?OpenDocument - Cached ~~

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

If you are looking for a free download of Black

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.