Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

SSD Hard Drive versus a more powerful "regular" HD?

I'm building an HTPC with an Intel i3-530 CPU ... I plan on putting a Western Digital 750GB Caviar Black HD into it (that's the $80 option) ... now, I COULD get an Intel X25-M G2 80 GB SSD for $200 (160 GB for $400) ... would it be pointless?

Like, of course the 750GB regular HD would top an 80GB SSD, right? Would adding the 80GB SSD into the mix "add" anything to the computer, or just be another $200 out of my pocket?

I know the SSDs are supposedly the "wave of the future" but it might be advisable to keep waiting until they drop in price even further?

Favorite Answer

I just built a $3800.00 pc from scratch, and I found in many reviews that SSD drives lose data. Plus, the prices are outrageous. If I were you, I would go with the WD HDD. You can get 2 500 gig WD hard drives from tigerdirect.com for $100. $50.00 each, then put them in a RAID 0 Configuration for performance. This would give you 1 - 1TB(1000GB) drive. RAID Is awesome! I'm using 3 WD 1TB drives, in RAID 5, working very well, and got a Windows Experience Index of 6.0. Plus, you can make several different partitions on the drives, one for storage, one for windows, one for dual boot, data, etc. RAID 5 has to have 3 drives, and one disappears for parity(Backup in case one drive fails) so you could get 3 - 500 Gig drives, use 2 for data(1000Gig), and one would disappear for parity. In this configuration, if ANY of these 3 drives fail, you just replace it with a brand new one, and all data is automatically recovered!

Yes...SSD WILL be the future HD...I said future...not right now! One problem is "transfer rate". Presently 3Gb/s (SATA II) is "standard" the new 6Gb/s should improve things. however a few tests between the 10,000 RPM, 7200RPM, and SSD HD show there was very little difference in speed between them even at 6Gb/s rate. Yes I can see the argument for SSD in a laptop (size, no moving parts etc) however if its storage you need the "standard" 7200 RPM 3Gb/s HD is the cheapest largest capacity at the moment. I for one am not going to spend $200 to cut a 1/2 second off my boot time! I have better things to do with my money!...and you should too! When they bring SSD into the real world...price....capacity....longevity...reliability...without all kinds of third party software patches/fixes, I may be tempted to buy one!

You question is very ambiguous. SSD stands for Solid State Drive, and this is just another fancy way of saying Flash Drive in the shape of a HD. SSD has faster seek times, and are less susceptible to damage since they do not have moving parts.

The way to answer your question is to ask yourself 'Do i need a larger HD that may crash in the long run, or would a smaller size less crash-prone HD suit me'