MESSIANIC JEWS - What education is required to be a MESSIANIC RABBI?

There was a question here a day or two ago about the religious requirements of Missionaries and/or Rabbis in the Messianic Jew movement.

I did not find a knowledgeable answer -- so I ask again.

Does anyone know what the Educational Requirements to be ordained a Messianic Rabbi?

The above link doesn't work. This one will:

http://www.messianicword.com/rabbis.html

Favorite Answer

I'm a Messianic Jew. Rigorous education from an accredited university is required. They need as much education as a Conservative or Reform Rabbi does. Here's some facts about their education.

MISSIONARIES:

Missionaries must be Jewish believers in Jesus (or married to one). To qualify for missionary staff, you must have a college degree. Training classes begin twice a year, for a year, in January and September. The initial term of service for missionary staff is 18 months in Jews for Jesus. Course included Jewish Apologetics.

_________

OTHER:

Here are some of the other courses offered in special colleges. These would be for those interested in a degree or Smichah program:

Pastoral Holistic Ministry, Pastoral Holistic Counseling, Theology/Religious Studies, All Messianic Missionaries and Rabbis know about Hebrew Synagogue forms of worship and liturgy, Shabbat observance and laws, Holy Day observance and laws, Extra biblical observances, Kosher laws, Life cycle events, Talmudic study, Zohar, Midrash Rabbah, Lawful forms of rabbinic interpretation of Scriptures, Rabbinic teaching methods

Most importantly, Messianic rabbis must know about Oral Law and how it should be used in the messianic community. Here are some very accomplished and recognized Messianic Leaders. I'll let their education speak for itself - each one has a short bio:

_______________

Here's the criteria for one being ordained a Messianic Rabbi, as stated by one particular synagogue:

"The calling of a person to the Rabbinate is a serious and humbling experience. No one should enter into this calling lightly, or for selfish gain. Do to the preponderance proliferation of many self proclaimed "rabbis," it is important that a firm definition and qualifications be established.

The Union of Conservative Messianic Jewish Synagogues does not agree with the popularly practiced procedure of a Christian Pastor becoming a Messianic Rabbi with no formal training or Jewish Heritage.

Would established mainline Churches would accept a Rabbi without any formal training on Christian Theology? Not Likely! Then why should Jewish Synagogues, Messianic, Reformed, Conservative, or Orthodox accept someone not properly trained.

CRITERIA FOR RABBI:

Jewish by birth or conversion

Have lived a predominately Jewish Lifestyle for a minimum of 3 years (preferably more, this includes secular Jews who have been away from the community)

Full identification as a Jew

Formal Yeshiva Training which must include: Torah, Talmud, Shulkan Aruch, Jewish History, Jewish Thought, and Jewish Lifestyle

For UCMJS rabbis, formal acceptance of UCMJS Halacha

____________________

CHARLES FEINBERG CENTER. . .

The Charles L. Feinberg Center is an accredited Master of Divinity program in Messianic Jewish Studies. The program is designed to train those with a call to full-time Jewish ministry as Messianic congregational leaders, outreach workers or educators.

These unique training needs are the focus of a program emphasizing biblical languages, Hebrew and Greek exegesis, and the understanding of rabbinic texts. Essential matters of theology and practice are treated through intensive study of Jewish law, religion, culture, sociology and history.

Students are encouraged to explore this rich heritage, and to develop effective methods to reach and serve today's Jewish community. Practical areas of Jewish ministry are addressed through courses in apologetics, Jewish-Christian relations, pastoral care and counseling.

The Master of Divinity program is a professional degree designed to be completed in three years of full-time graduate study.

THE SEMINARY:

•Tuition scholarships and financial aid

•Graduate classes in Messianic studies

•A summer program offered in Los Angeles and offer full-time studies offered in New York City

•Messianic Jewish studies integrated throughout the curriculum

•Specialized library of over 10,000 works in Manhattan for Messianic Jewish studies and an extensive research library on the Southern California campus.

•Practical field training through mentoring and internships

•Professors with academic and Jewish ministry experience

•Opportunities to attend lectures and cultural events, and take classes at Jewish institutions in Southern California and New York

PARTNERSHIP AND ACCREDITATION:

Talbot School of Theology, a graduate institution of Biola University, is partnering with Chosen People Ministries to provide this Master of Divinity program in Messianic Jewish Studies.

MBI YESHEVA. Why?

To receive a quality Messianic Jewish education

To prepare for professional Messianic Jewish ministry

To have your Messianic ministry certified and recognized

To secure a Messianic Certificate, Associate, Bachelor, Master or Doctoral degree

THE MESSIANIC BIBLE INSTITUTE - YESHIVA:

Was formed to serve the unique need of those who feel especially called to Messianic studies and leadership, but cannot attend on-site classes.

MBI Yeshiva is both a Bible Institute and a Yeshiva. Yeshiva is the Hebrew word for an institute of formal religious study.

This means that we approach biblical instruction from a Hebrew perspective, and that we include Jewish tradition and sensibilities in our understanding.

OOPS - There's another that comes to mind:

THE MESSIANIC THEOLOGICAL INSTITUTE: http://www.mjti.org/

For those seeking an in-depth understanding of Messianic Judaism in the context of Jewish history and spirituality.

We offer a fully distance-learning Master of Jewish Studies degree, with concentrations in Scripture, Rabbinic Literature, or Interdisciplinary Study, as well as GRADUATE CERTIFICATES in Messianic Jewish Studies, Hebrew Texts, and Rabbinic Texts.

Being jewish is determined by birth lineage, or conversion. Normally the bloodline is passed down on the mother's side. My Dad was Jewish, my Mom wasn't. Whether or not messianic jews get their inspiration in Christ, know that they are either jewish or not depending on their lineage, and not by what they believe. Understanding that, know that the case against them, which I was studying today, is based scripturally on an apostate book, which I believe, though am not certain of, is the Unitarian Bible. That version of the story is rooted in secular humanism. Many of the quotations that non messianic jews believe are attributable to Christ are not actually found at all in the canonical gospels. Now, I am not anti semitic. What I think that non messianic jews might find out is that there is going to be some guy who shows up that will deceive them into believing that he is Mosiach. He will be known by his works. That's all I have to say on that subject. I cannot tell Jews what to believe. I am a gentile and a christian. Who am I to tell them about God?

You seem to have some very informative responses. BodalanD is right, I feel, when stating that the "leaders" are usually known as teachers of the Torah. This is also my experience.

There are training schools/colleges/seminaries for Rabbis, Messianic or otherwise, just as there are training schools/colleges/seminaries for other "Church leaders". My husband trained in one of these but now, we meet simply in the home with other followers of Yeshua. We all have "something to bring" when meeting together, such as a hymn, prayer etc. My husband studies/researches the Torah and also Bible prophecy and so teaches. He also has pastoral and evangelical gifts, but then so do others who meet with us.

Yeshua said not to let anyone call you rabbi, father, leader etc. He said for the leaders to be like a servant and this is what we practise.

• DS M

1. A personal relationship with the God of Israel

2. God's making, gifting, equipping, and commissioning you.

3. Faith and obedience

This is what the prophets had.

Think about David for a minute. Who was better trained than David to be the king of Israel? What was his credentials?

1. A man after God's heart

2. Shepherd

3. Harpist

4. Shield bearer

5. Killed a lion and bear

By the way, I don't understand the question. Logically, what can finite men teach you that an infinite God can't.

True, usually God uses men....but you are asking about Educational Requirements. You can't leave God out of the equation because God is more than capable of teaching us more than we are capable of learning....He is the one who is all-knowing.

Instead, He usually choses to work through us so both the teacher and the student learn from God. So if you had to pick one, the teacher or God, the question should be rhetorical.

So let's compare educations with Rabbinic Rabbis.

Can Rabbinic Jews hear the voice of Hashem? No...If they could they would be prophets and not Rabbinic Rabbis.

Do Rabbinic Rabbis know what Hashem created them to do? No...If they did, they would be prophets and not Rabbis.

Do Rabbinic Rabbis know what Hashem wants their congregations to do? No...If they did, they would be prophets and not Rabbis.

So without any personal or first hand knowledge of what Hashem wants, how do Rabbinic Rabbis know what to do on a day to day or hour by hour basis? They study the Torah, Tanakh, and Talmud.

When was the last actual words of God recognized by Rabbinic Rabbis as being authentic actually spoken? Roughly 2,500 years ago.

So what help is the 2,500 year old words of God spoken to a much different Jew translating to a modern world needing the same guidence of the God of Israel? Check out the Talmud. There is no definitive word of God for Rabbinic Rabbis to draw on like the prophets. So, unlike the prophets, Rabbis can't speak with either the power or authority of God as the prophets.

In other words, if you know Hashem to be our "Father" and our "Shepherd", then the words of Hashem are the best education a person can get. As David say,

***1 A Psalm of David. HaShem is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul; He guideth me in straight paths for His name's sake.*** http://hareidi.org/bible/Psalms23.htm#1

Understand that when you say ***He maketh me to lie down in green pastures***, then you are acknowledging that you don't logically conclude what is good for you like Hashem.

Second, when you say, ***He guideth me in straight paths for His name's sake.*** then He not only leads...but leads ***for His name's sake.*** and not because we:

1. deserve it / earned it / or merit His care for us in anyway

2. our heritage / education / or anything else

Hope this helps

Edit

Case in Point

Gabi says: ***I'm sorry to say, but Messianics are not Jews. They can't call themselves "Rabbi", until they have proper Smicha, and I'm sure non of them got proper smicha.***

In other words, men are the only ones capable of ordaining Rabbis and the God of Israel is not. This clamp on ordination eliminates God to choose Rabbis like He chose all the prophets and prevents God's will from being done. This has been the problem through out Jewish history.

***7 But HaShem said unto Samuel: 'Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have rejected him; for it is not as man seeth: for man looketh on the outward appearance, but HaShem looketh on the heart.'*** http://www.hareidi.org/bible/1_Samuel16.htm

• Dalan

All of the "Leaders" that I know of don't use titles.

They usually go by Torah teacher or somethings like that.

There are no seminaries that are Messianic affiliated to my knowledge.

I'm sure that there are some christian schools that will give someone a piece of paper that says Messianic on it but they aren't true Messianic leaders.

• HAYAH

@:"MESSIANIC JEWS - What education is required to be a MESSIANIC RABBI?

If You Have The Book Of Hebrews.

You Will Find That There Is No-More Attendance At The Altar For Priest Or Rabbis.

This will also Prove That Yahshua is not his Father.

The Messiah of The Book of Hebrews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brfHiodHBJM

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=PlayList&p=AFA4E74DFA33A48E&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=7

YAHSHUA FILLED THE POSITION.

THE PRIEST WERE ONLY HIRED TO ATTEND THE ALTAR TO ACCEPT ANIMAL SACRIFICES FROM THE PEOPLE>>>AFTER, FIRST SACRIFICING HIS ANIMAL FOR HIS OWN SINS!

NOW< THEREFORE, THERE IS NO MORE SACRIFICES FOR THE PEOPLES SINS BECAUSE YAHSHUA WAS THE HUMAN SACRIFICE FOR MAN_KIND > WHAT THE ANIMALS COULD NOT DO.

It you don't have the Book of Hebrews, you have no-clue that the Position of any human becoming an in between for THE FATHER AND A SINNER IS YAHSHUA.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU.

Source(s): WE NOW CAN COME BOLDLY TO THE THRONE OF GRACE. SPIRITUALLY!!! JOHN 4:24. HEBREWS 4:16. HEBREWS13: >8...>10...>14....>15...>. YAHSHUA DIED OUTSIDE THE TEMPLE!!! NOT IN. FIND OUT WHAT THAT MEAN AND YOU WILL HAVE YOUR ANSWER. THE BOOK OF HEBREWS IS MY FRIEND!!!! HALLE LU YAH!!! PRAISE YOU YAH!!!
  • Kudos to poster "Yeshua Saves".

Many think being a Messianic Rabbi is an easy piece of cake.

They are heavily in demand, the ones with the excellent Yesheva training you outlined. Yesheva meaning Jewish of course.

Thank you for the informative post.

Source(s): _____________ I must complement Hatikvah JPA though. Some do START their training in a Baptist University, but they have to finish and get their degree in something like the above. Hatikvah JPA is a good little Messianic Jew isn't she?

I'm sorry to say, but Messianics are not Jews. They can't call themselves "Rabbi", until they have proper Smicha, and I'm sure non of them got proper smicha.

The best thing is to ask your rabbi what is required. Other than that, the only thing I was able to find is http://www.messianic-torah-truth-seeker.org/Fundam... http://www.mbiyeshiva.edu/

There shouldn't be any messianic rabbis b/c Jesus said not to call anyone rabbi

All that matters is that they believe Jesus is the Messiah, and know the Scriptures.