Who's the most interesting Vampire and what novel is he from?

Keep in mind the question is most interesting. 100 plus year old virgins aren't interesting to me. I've read a lot of vampire books and I've always found Lestat very interesting. Dracula as well. Any other interesting vampires that I may not have heard of? Answering with a List would be fine.

Favorite Answer

I like Anita Blake from the Laurell K.Hamilton vampire series. A strong protagonist in the series, Blake is very direct, flippant, and highly competent in the professions she is involved in. She is trained in judo, kenpo and knows how to use several weapons, but is most efficient with guns (as the series begins, the Browning Hi-Power is her carry gun of choice, though later in the series she switches to the Browning BDM). She is also a devout Christian which often creates moral dilemmas for the character. She is currently of the Episcopalian faith, having left Catholicism since the Catholic Church has excommunicated all animators. She is of mixed heritage, her mother having been Mexican and her father's family German.

Anita Blake (in the book Danse Macabre) is a twenty-seven year old resident of St. Louis. Born a necromancer with the power to raise and control zombies as well as power over other forms of undead, Anita leads a complicated life. Her main job is as an animator for "Animators, Inc.", a St. Louis-based business that raises the dead for the right price. Anita is also a licensed vampire executioner (known to vampires as "The Executioner"), a consultant for RPIT, the area's police division in charge of preternatural crimes. She has also been given the status of a federal marshal.

Anita is hardboiled, flippant and stubborn. Like Kinsey Millhone and V.I. Warshawski, she has major emotional issues, is frequently the only female in macho situations, and tends to come across as quite prickly and difficult. Like Spenser and Matthew Scudder, she plays knight errant, championing vulnerable characters who ask for her help. Anita also lacks tact, loses her temper, is insubordinate, and tends to be quite hypocritical in many regards.

• KJ86

I'm like you, I like Lestat from Anne Rice's novels - An Interview With A Vampire and Vampire Lestat.

For me Lestat embraces the Vampire life a lot more easily than other vampire characters and it's just much more fun to read about the dark side, than the lion and lamb plots that keep appearing.

I've just started the Anne Rice books and I think Louis is my favorite as he has traces of humanity and that is what separates him from the normal vampires, not the kill but the level of consciousness and though in acts just like Dracula from Bram Stoker.

I have just begun serious reading of vampires not just the chick flicks, but I have read them.

Tomorrow I will start Lestat and check if the 1st impression with the 1st book changes.

• Erika

the 1st 4 Vampire Diaries books are extremely solid, however the latest 2 books are complete rubbish. Vampire Academy, The Sookie Stackhouse novels, The Morganville Vampires sequence, and the Blue Bloods sequence are additionally exciting. while you're keen to check werewolves, Shiver, Linger, and The darkish Divine are additionally solid books.

My vote would be Alucard from Hellsing. He is not from a novel, but his background story follows closely to the one of Hellsing as Dracula/Vlad III Dracula of Wallachia.

I love him because he is what a vampire should be. His actions and his personality is what you would expect of a being who lived and watched this world for hundreds of years. Bored, finds aging the most beautiful thing in the world, hates lesser vampires, powerful, cruel and... sorry I seem to be ranting!

I love the fact that there is nothing that makes you think he's one of us. He holds no interest in physical appearances, he changes his shape at will, he is proud, arrogant and morals have no meaning for him.

• Kelly

I like Adrian Ivashkov from the Vampire Academy series. He has a "power" that makes him half insane and it is hilarious.

If you want to go for the darker, evil vamps, then my choices would be:

Ivo The Cruel

Demestriu The King Of The Horde

Lothaire The Enemy Of The Old

from the IAD series (btw this is an adult romance so....)

I'm with you on this. I think Lestat is one of the most interesting Vampires. He has an interesting back story, and he's cruel too! How is that NOT an awesome vampire?

But Louis is my favorite vampire. I love his story, and I love all of his actions. You can tell that he loathes being a vampire, and that fascinates me.

• SOS

Count Dracula

The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead is interesting. It is based on a Romanian legend of vampires where there are good and bad vampires (Moroi and Strigoi), as well as dhampyrs. It is a bit different but is also solidly written.

Interview with a Vampire (Anne Rice)

Dracula

Let the Right One In

The Southern Vampire Mystery series (Charlaine Harris) (*adult series)

Brotherhood of the Dagger (J R Ward) (*adult series)

Edward Cullen

Carlise Cullen

Emmet Cullen

Jasper Hale