true or false, if someone is to be put to death by the electric chair and?

for some reason when they turn the electric chair on it is faulty, they have to let the person go? i heard this is true, but some show that is on now, says they had to try to zap the guy 5 times cause the chair/electrical current kept turning off........but then i heard if it doesn't work the first time they have to let you go cause it is cruel and unusual to keep starting and stopping.........

??

Best Answer

In the old days yes if they fried you and for any reason you lived you had completed your sentence so you had to be released. Now though it has been worded that you are to be put to death so they can throw the switch as many times as it takes to put you out.

Source(s): You don't need to know

That is false, whenever a person is given a death sentence, he/she has to appeal their conviction before an appeals court whether it is state or federal. They have to start with the state appeals court first, and then they have to go to a federal appeals court. The highest that a person can go in the appeals process is the United States Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court can refuse to hear that persons appeal or just reject it. Also a governor can either commute the person's sentence to life imprisonment or grant them a full pardon. But if a person gets zapped 5 times by the electric chair and doesn't die, then they or their family can file a lawsuit against the state or federal government for it.

Source(s): I have a criminal justice degree.
  • Ben O

This was common in the middle ages - if someone was to be hanged an the rope snapped, people saw it as a sign from god and they were let go. People don't see it as a sign from god anymore, just faulty equipment.

Some traditional cultures in some remote parts of the world still practice this. If someone is sentenced to death by stoning in some parts of the Middle East or Asia, they are partly buried and people throw stones at them. In the unlikely event that they get themselves out of the hole before they are killed, they can be let go.

When an execution order is given it is completely carried out. If it means the person's head catches on fire during electrocution and their eyes pop out-they do it again; if it means the first rope breaks they do it again, if it means that the bullet has not struck the heart i.e. {The Execution of Private Slovik during WWII}, they do it until the condemned is dead.

No it is not cruel and unusual punishment for those who are guilty. For those who have tortured and killed children, committed atrocities against society, torn families asunder because of their urges or pathologies or drunkenness/high on drugs. I believe 4 or more DWI's should send you up for a sudden drop and quick stop.

Source(s): To All violent offenders I say: "Nuke 'em til they glow and shoot 'em in the dark!"

I apologize, my answer was wrong. Yes, you will be electrocuted until death. The death penalty means you suffer the decided means of execution -until- dead. I got mixed up with my info. It was the argument that "several electrocutions" was considered cruel and unusual, which led to it being done away with.

False.

• ROBERT

I am an electrican that has received powerful shocks in my line of work but they ain't killed me yet. It is horrendous.

False.

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration
  • TheMan

False,They keep trying until they get it done.It will get done.

They don't use Old Sparky anymore.