Jane Doe asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

what happens if my cat eats decon(rat poison)?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

    There's a good chance of it dying.

    I suggest you take it to a vet (and quickly) if it has eaten poison.

  • jonah
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Decon Rat Poison

  • Amber
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

    This says just dogs, but its for all animals

    That dangerous toxin is mouse or rat bait. There are several different kinds - and all of them are bad if your dog eats enough of it. The most common type contains a toxin that causes bleeding. Basically when the mouse or rat ingests the poison, they bleed to death. The same thing can happen to a dog that eats this poison.

    There are two reasons why some pet owners don't think it is a big deal.

    1. The dog will often defecate out the toxin (or appear to) the next day. The bowel movement will be the blue/green color of the toxin. If you think that means your dog is safe, this is a FALSE sense of security because the toxin has already been absorbed in your dog's body.

    2. The other reason is that once the toxin is in the system, it takes 3 to 7 days for signs of bleeding to occur. By then, the owner has forgotten all about it. And that is the time when the pet can bleed to death.

    There is treatment for this toxin. With early diagnosis, treatment may consist of induction of vomiting and giving a special vitamin K1. Advanced cases (when bleeding has already occurred) can require blood and plasma transfusions. As I mentioned before, depending on how severe the problem is treatment of this toxin can cost anywhere form $150 to $3,000. Pet insurance can really help when unexpected problems like this occur.

    Mouse and rat poisons are dangerous toxins that are commonly ingested by dogs. There are some other types of rat and mouse baits that work differently (they don't cause bleeding) but they are equally dangerous.

    THIS IS IMPORTANT - If your dog gets into any medication or toxin, call your veterinarian immediately. If caught early, many times vomiting can be induced to get the toxin out of the system.

    Ingestion of these toxins is totally preventable. Always keep toxins out of your dog's reach!

    Source(s): Dr. Jon
  • 10 years ago

    It depends on the type of rat poison. The two types I have run into off the top of my head (sorry, can't remember the names of the chemicals,) are a blood thinner or a poison that causes neurologic signs.

    Generally both are quite dangerous- if your pet has eaten rat poison I would call animal poison control IMMEDIATELY. If your pet has just eaten rat poison within the past half hour or so then there is a chance you might be able to make them vomit using something like hydrogen peroxide and avoid them metabolizing the poison.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Do you like your cat? That was not a good idea to leave out rat poison where your cat could get to it. Take your cat to the vet immediately. The same thing would happen to you if you ate the poison. That's why they call it poison. Good luck. I feel badly for you kitty.

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    The cat will start to hemmorage internally and bleed to death. And it will not be pleasant. The major organs will start to leak blood into the cats body cavity and the walls of the cats veins and arteries will begin to leak also.

    FROM WIKI I was able to glean the following ;

    DECO (Warfarin) is incorporated into grain feeds for use as a rat and mouse poison. It causes death by interfering with the blood clotting mechanism. This leads to spontaneous bleeding. There are no observable signs of warfarin poisoning until the cat begins to pass blood in the stool or urine, bleeds from the nose or develops hemorrhages beneath the gums and skin. The cat may be found dead with no apparent cause. A single dose of warfarin is not as serious as repeated doses.

    Treatment: Induce vomiting. Vitamin K (for clotting) is a specific antidote. It is given intramuscularly (or in cases where there are no symptoms it can be given by mouth as a preventative).

    Certainly not the type of end that I would wish for any animal.

  • 10 years ago

    Pretty much the same thing that happens to rats.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm pretty sure that that's dangerous and very harmful to your cat. Take it to an emergency vet office immediately if it has eaten this.

  • 10 years ago

    well why dont you eat it and than you will have your answer because the same thing that happens to you will happen to your cat if it kills rats it will kill your cat

  • 10 years ago

    Then you need to stuff burnt toast down it to soak up whatever poison that is still in its stomach and hope it doesn't die before you get it to the vet

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.