Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do you think that Janet Jackson is much of singer?

I was just educating my kids on who Janet is because they are such a fan of Michael and the old J5 stuff. I remember being a Janet addict in the 1990's into early 2000. Those songs were infectious, the videos were like mini-films and the choreography - woo! You couldn't tell me nothing when I learned all the choreography to Rhythm Nation and Escapade. And too boot, she's so pretty. But now that I'm older and into Norah Jones, India Arie, Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, Laura Izibor and Susan Tedeschi, Janet's thin voice - although cute and playful - leaves me cold. Also am I the only one who prefers to watch her videos rather than listen to her songs on the radio without the visuals? Anyone else agree? Or are you a diehard who thinks she can sing well.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you ever noticed Micheal had a soft quiet voice when he spoke, which was weird the way he let his voice out on the stage. Janet is similar, very soft spoken she was recently on Oprah's show her first interview since her brother's death. She was so soft spoken you could barely hear her.

She is most certainly beautiful. However, I think Music is much of her past. She has entered acting and she's very good at it. She also has turned into a mature woman. So the songs of her past suited well for her image and life in those times. But, times for her have changed. She's a sweetheart for sure.

• 1 decade ago

'Thin' voice? You obviously lack knowledge of the human voice and most importantly Janet's voice. Do you honestly consider Norah Jones voice up to par? Jennifer Hudson with her atrocious singing? Beyonce with her overbearing belting? Give me a break. This right here is music snobbery at its finest. Janet Jackson IS a good singer. Her most successful single is a ballad. She's known for her quiet storm balladry that showcases her velvety vocals (Come Back To Me, Any Time, Any Place, etc.). You know its funny when people LOVE to credit everyone around Janet but Janet. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis should thank Janet for giving them the opportunity to work for her. Paula Abdul was just Janet's choreographer for the Control album and she only worked on a couple of videos. No, Janet wasn't taught right. Don't be ridiculous. The woman is a multi-talented phenomenon! It comes natural for her.

Back to Janet's voice - She has a 3 octave range and I find her vocals soulful. I mean, people boost MJ's vocals like its the best thing ever. When his voice was just as meek as Janet's.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not Janet Jackson's biggest fan. But, she is far more talented and a better singer than Beyonce Knowles.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

she doesnt have a good voice. shes been well produced and sings songs that suit her voice so people think shes a good singer. her range is very limited and weak

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think she's a great singer.I can tell she was taught right.

• Gail M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I don't think she's much of a singer, but thanks to Jimmy Jam & Co., she's well produced. She's a much better dancer than she is a singer, thanks to Paula Abdul.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.