Should I tell my parents I converted to Islam?

I converted to Islam about three weeks ago. At first I was really scared to tell them and I planned to wait until I'm in college or at least for a few months so I could slowly start talking to them about Islam so that when I do tell them it won't be as big of a shock. (I was advised by my Muslim friends to... show more I converted to Islam about three weeks ago. At first I was really scared to tell them and I planned to wait until I'm in college or at least for a few months so I could slowly start talking to them about Islam so that when I do tell them it won't be as big of a shock. (I was advised by my Muslim friends to do this)

However, lately its been hard to keep it a secret. I hate feeling like I'm lying to everyone. I've been trying to get out of church as often as I can, but when I do have to go its really awkward. My parents hate Islam and whenever they talk negatively about it is really hard to limit how much I defend it without giving too much away.

I love my parents and I don't want to hurt them. I will be 18 in September and am a junior in high school.
Update: Brande, I converted because I believe it is the truth. There are many contradictions in the Bible and many things that simply don't make sense. Islam is more logical and more scientifically accurate.
Update 2: I suppose I should have included more details of why I converted so I wouldn't sound like an idiot. I studied Islam and the Bible for months before making this decision. I researched and tested arguments by Christians and Muslims. I studied the history behind both religions. After doing this I concluded that... show more I suppose I should have included more details of why I converted so I wouldn't sound like an idiot. I studied Islam and the Bible for months before making this decision. I researched and tested arguments by Christians and Muslims. I studied the history behind both religions. After doing this I concluded that Islam is the truth.