Pirates of the 21st century?

What are pirates doing nowadays and are they actually getting away with it and if so HOW?

Favorite Answer

Pirates are mostly illiterate people from very poor countries like Somalia who have figured out that they can steal ships and resell them back to the owners for a bunch of money. This is mostly what is happening.

They are getting away with it and the reason is that we are, today, too nice. I'll give an example. When Blackbeard was pirating back in 1720 or so of the coast of the Carolina's. The British Navy (America was British then...) sent a warship to track him down. They did. There was a fight. The British Navy won, no surprise, and one Blackbeard and crew are all dead or taken prisoner.

Today, we might take action against those instigating a particular problem but we tend to do no more. Like the Navy snipers that shot those pirates holding the US Captain recently. What they should do, in my opinion, is once it is established that they are pirates, send in a significant warship like a Cruiser complete with Satellite info, forget the dingy-s that are doing the low level pirating and just go after and sink the mother ships that send out the dingy-s. I bet a dozen torpedoes would put an end to all pirating these days.

But no body will want to take the political flak which, these days, is everywhere on everything. Including those that might be able to stop pirating.

Pirates around Africa are the tools of organized criminals in a failed state (Somalia) where most organization is criminal. The people who are really making money off this are not even going out to sea.

There have been pirates around Asia for centuries, in countries I'm not going to name. I will suggest that if you look at southeast asia you will find certain countries which have had large numbers of rebellions: most of which were settled by negotiations rather than by overwhelming force. These are NOT failed states, but it has been going on pretty openly as long as I can remember.

Marketplace actually profiled a pirate a couple of years ago. I don't know if it is available at their archive:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org

To put it as simply as possible, it is not a very glamorous portrait.

Well according to the entertainment industry, they're making bootleg CDs and DVDs to FUND TERRORISM.

Seriously though, actual piracy pretty much died out over the last century. The only countries that have much in the way of pirates are the ones that lack any sort of governing body. Somalia is a good example.

Pirates now Control the DVD/music copying/illegal downloading industry.Yes,Jack Sparrow and his crew, have gone all digital,and yes they are getting away with it,Dam those pirates!.

On the coast of Somalia.

They do not even have eye patches or talking parrots or even monkeys. ugh.

They probably do not even sing pirate shanties. like yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Why is the rum gone?