M J
M J asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 10 years ago

Given the choice which revolver would you choose and why? The Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull, S&W 500, the S&W 460.?

I want a short barrel configuration to be used for self defense in the back country. I will also have a 45/70 or 12 Gauge with slugs.

Thanks everyone, sorry I forgot to mention a lot of our time will be spent fishing. The carbines/shotguns will probably be left on the bank while wading.

BTW I didn't give any thumbs down, I thought every answer had merit.

Favorite Answer

The Ruger Alaskan would be the most practical choice here. It's the smallest of all three and is also the only one to give you a full 6 shots; the 460 and 500 are both five-shooters. The Alaskan should be able to take down anything in North America with proper shot placement and some good .454 slugs. It's a proven round for wildlife defense and has taken down its share of grizzlies, you shouldn't have a problem.

I have been looking at the same ones myself and was having this same debate. I've only got 2 more pistols I want to add to my collection any time soon, one is a real nice 1911 and one is a big magnum. I intend to do some larger game hunting with a pistol so I had narrowed it down to those and have had a chance to shoot a couple now. I think my favorite is the S&W 460. You have the option of shooting the .45LC so it's still moderately cheap and easy to shoot and good for small to medium game without crushing your hand and breaking the bank every time you take it out. It will also shoot the 454 if you want to tame it down a little bit more than the 460. Yet you still have the ability to load it with 460's if you're in an area you may have to worry about the critters that don't get that we're supposed to be at the top of the food chain. In my opinion the 500 is just too big to be fun to shoot on any type of regular basis so you'd be spending a lot of money on a gun and ammo that will just ride in the holster. If that's all your intentions are then it wouldn't be a bad choice because it definitely says "stop now" to whatever you shoot with it. With any of them, weight is a bit of a concern, I want more of it. To me, light weight and big magnums does not go together. I know you're looking at a shorter barreled version of what I'm looking for but the S&W 460 is still my favorite. The Ruger would save you about $400-$600 though and there's nothing to complain about with the Ruger, they are great guns too.

Of those 3, I'd go with the .454 Casull, which already is an enormously powerful cartridge. It also has the virtue of being able to fire .45 Colt cartridges too.

The 500 and 460 are just way too powerful, and way too expensive to shoot.

• mack_9

I would go with the .460 since you can shoot .45 Colt and .454 Casull in the .460.

Id have to go with the 460. For the simple reason of ammo diversity. You can shoot .460, .454, and .45 Colt in the same gun, cant beat that

Did you say, 'masochistic'? Well, if you insist on using one of these fire-belching monsters, the most potent choice would be the S&W 500.

I've had to walk off firing lines when one of these things was being used - No joke! Takes a strong man in his prime in order to successfully handle and accurately fire one; and the percussion is absolutely terrific.

Suggest you stay with the 45-70 carbine, iron sights, and any of the larger, heavier, +/- 400 grain, JFP bullets.

Not me, brother!

S&W 500. I have a belief that if you're strong and skilled enough to handle a heavy gun that you may as well do just that. Not that I fit this description, I just think it would be wise to take the extra stopping power. I know many self defense experts disagree with me though.

I vote for the 460 S&W. It gives you some cheaper practice options. I've always been facinated withe the cartridge.

Unless I was up against grizzly bears I would prefer a 357 mag for self defense. The guns you are discussing are massive and heavy.

Are you sure you wanna' carry all that steel? The .45-70 or shotgun should be fine.