Why did Spain want Venezuela?

I have searched everywhere, I am making a PowerPoint and need a full explanation.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Venezuela was first colonized by Spain in 1522 in what is now Cumaná. These portions of eastern Venezuela were incorporated into New Andalusia. Administered by the Audiencia of Santo Domingo since the early 16th century, most of Venezuela became part of the Viceroyalty of New Granada in the early 18th century, and was then reorganized as an autonomous Captaincy General starting in 1776.

In the 16th century, during the Spanish colonization, indigenous peoples such as many of the Mariches, themselves descendants of the Caribs rejected paganism and embraced Roman Catholicism. Some Spaniards treated the natives harshly. Indian caciques (leaders) such as Guaicaipuro and Tamanaco attempted to resist Spanish incursions, but were ultimately defeated; Tamanaco was put to death by order of Caracas' founder Diego de Losada.

After a series of unsuccessful uprisings, Venezuela—under the leadership of Francisco de Miranda, a Venezuelan marshal who had fought in the American Revolution and the French Revolution—declared independence on 5 July 1811. This began the Venezuelan War of Independence. However, a devastating earthquake that struck Caracas in 1812, together with the rebellion of the Venezuelan llaneros, helped bring down the first Venezuelan republic.[17] A second Venezuelan republic, proclaimed on 7 August 1813, lasted several months before being crushed as well.

• 10 years ago

See 3rd paragraph under "Spain"in 1st site. 2nd site lists several reasons. Both sites refer to colonization in general, not Venezuela in particular, but the reasons apply.In the 2nd site, several reasons are listed first, then greed is listed. I believe greed should have been at the top of the list. european countries simply wanted the GOLD they believed filled the Americas. Converting the natives to Catholicism, may have been the goal of the priests that went along but the kings and queeens who paid for the conquistadors to travel to the Americas...wanted gold and other treasures.

• 5 years ago

I don't know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.