How to get to the Equestrian Olympics?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I have a huge dream. One that if accomplished would make me go against the odds BIG TIME.I want to go to the equestrian olympics. My parents dont make a huge amount of money cuz were ...show more
Best Answer
You don't sound like you know a whole lot. Horses aren't just riding, you need knowledge too.

14.5 hands doesn't exist.
If you have a paint that consistently jumps 5 feet with the ability to go higher, call ripley's
16 lessons in 2.5 years is nothing.

To get to the olympics:

Be born to a family who starts you off in horses at the age of three.
Watch as they hand over thousands of dollars a month for your pro training from a past olympian
Receive a hundred thousand + dollar horse
Train every day of your life, interning at barns and working under trainers and pro riders
Go to all the big shows
Get sponsorships
MAYBE, possibly, but not likely make it to the olympics
  • Comment

Other Answers (9)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Mel answered 4 years ago
    Look, it sounds like you are a sweet kid with beautiful dreams, and while I hate to be discouraging, you did ask to know what it REALLY takes.

Riders going to the Olympics have taken 16 lessons every two weeks, and not from natural horsemanship trainers but from former Olympians. They have competed in highly prestigious arenas to get noticed and taken on by the trainers that can take them to the very top. They have earned the right to ride or own horses that have been bred to be top level competitors, planned for generations. They have traveled all over the world to work with the best trainers out there. They live, sleep, and eat professional horsemanship 24 hrs a day.

You are on your way to being a dedicated horseperson, but the road to the Olympics is a completely different path. I don't want to tell you it is impossible, but well, it almost is. If you seriously want to pursue reaching higher levels of competition, you need to go straight away to the most successful show barn in your area and start licking the dirt off of the trainer's feet and maybe, just maybe, they would take you on as a working student if you give up everything else in your life for them (and even years of that would only be a tip of the head in the right direction). Really, you are better off enjoying your horse and working towards more realistic goals--it is a much more enjoyable path.
    • Comment
  • Victoria answered 4 years ago
    To start, there is no such thing as 14.5 hands. That would be 15.1 hands.

It's almost 100% guaranteed that you won't make it to the Olympics.

I'll get TD'd for this, but be realistic.
    • Comment
  • Jorjor answered 4 years ago
    Victoria I think by 14.5 she means 14 & 1/2 which is 14.2 I believe(4 inches in a hand)

Horse back riding is a gradual process. You will not be olympic status in 16 lessons lol. And natural horsemanship is not related to the events in the Olympics, although it is fun. I've probably had at least 300 lessons and I am currently jumping 3ft. Grand prix is 5 ft. And if you really want to progress, lesson 1-2 times per week is preferable. Although if your riding inbetween it does help. Do what you can.

And you need to have some show experience so you have a loooong way to go.

ADD ON:

But don't worry. The good thing about horse riding is that there are almost no age limits. people say it's never to late to start.. say ballet for example. true but theres no way your gonna be a prima ballerina if you start when your 30. With horse riding, it's completely possible to progress all the way to grand prix status regardless of age. So just wait till the money is right.

I have several 20-30 year olds in the lesson with who are proggressing great.
    • Comment
  • embersofaftershock answered 4 years ago
    Hello, i love your enthusiasm and i'm not going to be an *** to you like some others. That being said this dream will not happen over night and generally to be apart of this experience you need money. These horses are $45,000 dutch warmbloods imported from Germany with $1000 monthly board fees with very expensive trainers. In addition to that you will be paying for travel for you, your trainers, and your horse which is an outrageous fee. I do know a little about the equestrian olympics and how it works because my cousin was invited via like a scouter i guess you could call it to train with the team and eventually find herself a spot on the team. My uncle is very very rich so the prices listed above are no joke. My cousin decided that the olympics lifestlye was not for her, but she still did train with them in their arena (yes Beezie and the gang). To sum up you are going to need to be wealthy which is just plain fact. You need $50,000 imported Dutch Warmbloods, and basically make showing hunter jumper your life which does not sound like you are in any position to do that. It does suck that this may not be the right thing for you, but i can sense you love your horse and there are plenty of other things to do with her. :)
    • Comment
  • Skipping Stones answered 4 years ago
    Reality check. You aren't in any position to do this now. That doesn't mean you can't one day, but you just walked in on a 'club' that's been busy at this for ages. If you aren't rich the only other way to get there is ride somebody else's horse, cause it is VERY expensive, the riders pay for everything, they only get paid to ride and train, so the income is nil. Clinton Anderson isn't going to get you into Olympic Stadium jumping or Eventing either. And I'm not sure you need to be jumping 5 feet after only 3 yrs riding. Get your core skills down before pushing the envelope or you will set yourself up for failure.

So, other than realizing you are WAY WAY at the beginning of this situation, what can you do to pursue advancing your equestrian career? Ride ride ride learn learn learn work work work. Look up Margie Goldstien Engle, Bruce Davidson, and David and Karen O'Conner to see some truly amazing riders. Also, are you willing to go thru all this and still not make the Olympic short list? You need WAY more terminology to know what you are getting into. Get some dressage lessons. All jumpers at that level are also at least proficient 2nd level dressage horses, it's the basis of all training. You want to do jumping? Do you want to do stadium or eventing? You really won't know after just 16 lessons and just 2 yrs. This takes decades of work. Try Practical Horseman instead of Horse Illustrated. Get lessons on different horses with different trainers and take your horse as far as you two can go together, and it's probably not time for a new horse yet. You need to keep yourself mobile to be able to take advantage of learning opportunities that may arise and 2 horses are harder to keep than one. Enter some AHSA jumpers competitions (hunters and equitation are NOT olympic sports and for good reason, its subjective judging. Or try the USEA for 3 day eventing). Look into being a working student at a REALLY reputable stable that specializes in your discipline. I don't know how old you are, but you usually have to be at least 17 to be an 'on your own' working student. More importantly do this because you love to ride, not for the recognition. This is just a list of associations to look into and places to get started, the goal is a LONG way off. Personal note: Gambler's Choice classes are really fun and challenging.
    • Comment
  • Meggan answered 4 years ago
    Ask your trainer about this. You've still got a lot of training to do. Live your dreams, never give up. I assume you've been in a few shows, win some money and save it all up. Get a job, save up some money. High dollar horses are called high dollar horses for reason. Even if you never make it to the Olympics, you can never say you didn't try and you will probably be well known considering the ladder you have to climb to get to the Olympics. You meet a lot of new people on this ladder and that's always a good thing, even if they people aren't. It's a huge learning experience. You only live life once, try your very hardest to squeez every drop out of it. Amazing things come with hard work.
    • Comment
  • Horseyferret answered 6 months ago
    First of all, you need to spend heaps more time training, getting professional lessons and going to competitions. You need to get recognized by people so they can sponsor you and to know that you are a good rider and of course you need a professional horse which will cost heaps but until you start competing you can use your horse to get better. Good Luck
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Dressage.Shows answered 4 years ago
    heyy well first you need to know much more about horses and if you want to be in the olympics you couldn't get there with a paint. i am not trying to offend you but i have never seen a paint in the olympics. but if you really want to get there just keep training and learning about horses. thanks i hope i helped. :)

Source(s):

i want to go to the olympics too
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • foxhunter1949 answered 4 years ago
    Regardless of how tall your horse is and the fact that it can jump 5 feet, means nothing at all. What it needs to be able to do is to jump a course of fences set at 5 feet - some with 6' spreads (or more) without touching one of them. Some of these fences need to be combinations - three jumps in a row with a distance of one non jumping stride and then two no jumping strides.
    When it is doing this with regularity you need to get onto the show jumping circuit and beat all the top riders. Do this for three or four years and you will be spotted by the coaches and you might stand a chance of being selected.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block