question about formatting citations?

i am not quoting directly, just paraphrasing, summarizing, and combining this with what i already know for a whole paragraph. would i just cite the whole book at the end?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you're talking about citing in the paper itself, your easiest and best bet is to actually begin the paragraph with something like "According to Douglas Adams in his book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, there are several things one ought to be aware of. Never forget your towel, for example."

This gets you out of the tedium of the parentheticals and is a great way to not have to deal with the question of specifics at all...And afterall, even if -you- know something that doesn't necessarily make it common enough knowledge to not "need" a citation. This allows you to make it look like most of the paragraph can be attributed to the source in question.

If you (for some weird reason) really want to do a parenthetical, then yes you could cite at the end of the paragraph....though I'd recommend making sure that paragraph is not very long, lest it raise questions in the mind of the teacher/professor about what exactly it is you are attributing ;)

Hope it helps!

Source(s): Years and years of this stuff and tutoring folks in it :p
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.