autism help and advise, very worried mum?

i posted a question on here about a week ago, although now my situation is slightly different now. i have a daughter at 17months, she is very pleasant and developed all her milestones on time. my main problem with her is, she doesnt respond when i call her, sometimes (rarely) she does but more often not, its almost like she is ignoring me, she gets so involved in her play that she wont even know i am calling her name, or like i said, she could be ignoring me??

her eye contact is not so great either, if im playing silly games with her on the floor, such as "gonna get you" she will look at me, otherwise its only for a couple of seconds if i get her attention. she does not point either or communicate with me, if she is upset she will say "mamma" and lift up her arms for cuddles. she does not follow my instructions either like she does not understand.

she says about 3 words. she loves affection, plays well alongside other children and plays with her toys correctly, she doesnt have any odd behaviour with her toys. she does not walk on tiptoes. she does clap hands, give me 5, and give me a kiss when i ask.

i took her to my doctor who said he was concerned about her not responding to her name, he has refered her to a paediatrician. i also took her to see a paediatrician nurse in the mean time who told me, she had pretty good eye contact with her ( for the 5 mins she saw her) and that i should just wait and see whats said when i see the pediatrician in may. she refered me back to my doctor, this time a different one, who told me there is nothing wrong with my little girl and put me on antidepressants, she didnt examine her in any way, just looked at her and got smiles in return, she told me that she is a normal healthy child.

im worried sick now, do you think i am being ignored? or that i should be concerned about my little girl. what other possible reason could there be for her not responding? her ears are fine and been tested. also with the eye contact not so good. and the not pointing???

Favorite Answer

This is a very difficult question to answer, because some children do just develop differently or prehaps more slowly than other children.

If your child has developed all other things noramally, for example walking and playing with toys, and two doctors have told you not to worry, then I wouldnt worry too much.

Prehaps try getting her ears tested again, however with the eye contact, some children at that age are easily distracted, and there are so many new things to be looking at around them that they cant be bothered to look at their mothers, whose face they know off by heart!

Another suggestion I would have is maybe to try going to a mother baby group for children her age, or talk to other mothers with children her age, and then you will be able to make comparisons between her and the other children.

However if you are still worried, I dont see what harm it could do to take her to another doctor, or even a specialist if you are that concerned. However I do believe that 17 months is a bit young to tell.

Get a second opinion! I don't know how many times I was told to wait and see. My son has Asperger's syndrome and I wish I had pushed the issue when he was little like yours. Have you had her hearing checked? that should be the first step. Problem is, milder autism is hard to diagnose at that age but not impossible. Watch for social delays as she gets older. Any loss of words or gestures, not using eye contact to get help from parent, etc. There is a sit I will reference that has video glossaries of normal vs. red flag behaviors. I found it very helpful. I feel for ya, I have my 6 year old, and now a 12 month old that is showing some alarming behaviors including the ignoring.

Source(s): http://www.autismspeaks.org/video/glossary.php This site is awesome, a great resource!!!

It can be tricky diagnosing toddlers with autism. Don't be put off by brief eye contact at this age. You may be expecting too much from her. Children develop at different rates, each at his or her own pace. I can't help but wonder why your daughter had to be referred to a pediatrician and didn't already have one (that you found for her) from day one.

When she gets older, have her vision checked during one of her routine checkups. When you meet with the pediatrician, make a point of discussing your concerns and ask to have her hearing checked. A hearing impairment would explain both the lack of response you often get from her and her lack of language milestones. Even though you believe her "ears are fine and been tested", have them checked again and annually. As for not pointing, kids will imitate what they see, so if you gesture and identify objects, other kids, animals, etc. you'll stimulate the "gesture effect" and help develop language skills. New research in the United States has revealed that young children who pick up gestures from their parents at 14 months have larger and more complex vocabularies when they start school.

Because well-educated parents from higher income brackets use more gestures with their babies, the findings help to explain why children from these families develop speech more quickly than those born into lower socio-economic groups.

I also very strongly suggest and urge you to invest in child development books. They're available for each stage of development and if you read a book about 2 year-olds now, you'll know what to expect.

I suggest you talk to her often and read to her daily. Don't use baby talk, just keep up a normal conversation about anything and everything. Explain to her what it is you're doing at any given time. Whenever you can, face her when you speak and stand close enough so that you know she can hear you. Use facial expressions when you talk. When you read books to her, change your voice to suit the characters in the stories.

These two activities help develop language skills and may help develop other skills as well. Fact: Before my son was even born, I was reading out loud to him from Donald Trump's "The Art of the Deal". And as for the "gesture effect", I was practically a mime. And now my son invests in the stock market along with me, turns a profit and is working on a degree in finance. His language and reading skills are phenomenal. I tell you this because it's not too late for you to start helping your daughter.

Below is a link to a CHAT (checklist for autism in toddlers). Take a look at this carefully.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=2226&...

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
    • This sounds truly inspirational, a true miracle for your son, and it can all be linked to Trump and his good works. Vote Trump. FACT.

If you intend to train your small child to learn common phrases that'll likely run into and which are conditions to standard phonetic principles then what you need is here https://tr.im/110pC , Children Learning Reading program.

Children Learning Reading is a phonetic centered examining system. This means that it first teaches your child the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they make. After that it applies that understanding to help your child determine words based on the sounds the letters make. This system was created to teach the essential "code" for examining initially. Just after it has been mastered are exceptions, problems, and variations introduced.

• walter

1

Source(s): Reading Lessons for Kids http://emuy.info/ChildrenLearningReading/?Q44W

hmm. 17 mo too early to make any diagnosis like "autism". you really have no choice but to wait & see what happens.

Autism develops later.

Bad hearing?

mabye she has bad hearing?