Jessica asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Do french bulldogs make good pets?

Me and my fiance are looking for a good first dog. We've always had labs, which are great dogs... but his mother was attached to our black lab so we let her keep her. (She's lost her husband and her other son--one in hunting accident, one in car accident)

My fiance and I just couldn't take the dog away from her too. She loves her.

Anyway, we have never lived together before, so we are looking for a first dog together. What should it be?

More details to your questions:

The size does matter a little... My fiance doesnt want anything too small (like a chihuahua)....and we like big dogs, but won't really have the space for one. We sacraficed building our new house and offered to live with my grandmother who is 87 and needed some help. My mother paid to have my grandmothers basement remodeled completely into a basement apartment as a gift, since we offered to live with my grandma as newlyweds. So, our space isn't much, so we would like something medium sized.

We like to be outdoors, so I guess a french bulldog wouldn't be logical due to its breathing conditions. (But, We would keep the dog inside mostly)

We are willing to spend some money for a good quality dog. We both have 2 full time jobs, and he has a job that he has on the side as well.

Here's the only other issue. We have Blue Crown Conure, parrot. We don't want a viscious dog that would possibly go after the bird. We need an easy going breed.

• Favorite Answer

What exactly are you looking for in a dog?

Are you active?

What are your living conditions?

Do you have a fenced yard?

Does it matter what size the dog is?

Give a few more details. But I can tell you a bit about the Frenchie..

If you buy from a quality French Bulldog breeder, [which is what you want to do] they can get a bit up there in price [about $2000] They're a gentle breed that typically has a happy-go-lucky attitude, A positive it that there not big barkers! but as a flat faced breed, it is essential that you understand that French Bulldogs can't live outdoors. Their bulk and their compromised breathing system makes it impossible for them to regulate their temperature efficiently.

Also, Frenchies are top heavy.. and therefore have a difficult time swimming. There vet bills can also get very expencive, were talking $1000+ here. There are several congenital diseases and conditions to which French bulldogs are susceptible, although they are still considered among the healthiest of the bull breeds. Frenchies can suffer from Von Willebrand's disease (VWD), a bleeding disorder that is also found in humans and is similar to hemophilia, which can impede their clotting. In conjunction to this, French bulldogs may also suffer from thyroid condition. Many breeders follow a program of testing younger dogs for VWD, and only testing for thyroid at that time if the VWD factor is low. In this program, the breeder tests thyroid again just prior to using the dog for breeding. Other breeders test both VWD and thyroid at the same time, Which is why it's so important to get from a breeder who knows what they are doing! Remember to ask lots of questions, and see where the puppy is growing up, if you are planning to buy one as a puppy.

But over all the Frenchie is an awesome dog, as far as temperment goes.

If you want to save a life you can also check out

www.petfinder.com

Lots of doggies on there waiting to find a loving forever home!

On a last note, I want to say, When you do deside which breed you want pet stores should not be considered as far as buying a puppy goes.. A good place to buy from is a reputable breeder, they would never sell to a pet store, but rather can be found by looking in dog magazines, calling a local dog club, or attending dog shows. Back yard breeders are the ones who advertise in the newspaper and on-line, they often sell pups at inflated prices but are a shade better than pet stores. Never buy a pup from a filthy or over crowded yard, you only reward the seller for cruelty, instead report them to an SPCA or animal protection agency. Shelters are the first place worth considering unless you want a show quality purebred.

Hope I helped a bit !

French Bulldogs make wonderful pets because their only real purpose is to serve as a companion... They like to be around their masters 24/7 and are not suited for people that work long hours and can't be around their dogs (i.e: a home office, an entrepreneur, a sole business owner, etc.)... Though they are compact in size and tend to weigh under 30 pounds (the standard sets 28 lbs. as the maximum), they are by no means a toy breed and need proper obedience and potty-training from day one... One would be wise to read a great deal about the breed and educate themselves (taking a look at http://www.frenchbulldogz.org and http://www.frenchbulldogclub.org, for example) because French Bulldogs have inherent traits and characteristics that may not be suitable for all... Because of their smooshed faces, they are prone to snort, wheeze, belch, urp, vomit, etc. due to their elongated soft palates and pinched stenotic nares (which may require corrective surgery and special anesthesia protocolos)... They come with a hefty price tag... Reputable and ethical breeders tend to command a minimum of $2500 to $3000 for the better quality puppies and only sell them with limited registration and a mandatory spay / neuter contract... Poorly bred French Bulldogs can be plagued with allergies, congenital defects, spinal / osteo deformities, hypothyroidism, or any number of chronic health problems...

I happen to have 5 French Bulldogs... They make ideal pets and I love them to bits, but one really has to know everything about these dogs before ever buying one...

Good Luck!

www.carewhiz.com

Beagles are extremely hyper....they need lots of exercise and if they get bored can be extremely destructive, you have to walk them A LOT! My sister-in-law has french bulldogs, hers fart a lot and have eye issues as well as issues with their toe nails.....don't shoot the messenger..........I prefer Bichon frise's although they are high maintenence because of their grooming requirements.