Do french bulldogs make good pets?

Me and my fiance are looking for a good first dog. We've always had labs, which are great dogs... but his mother was attached to our black lab so we let her keep her. (She's lost her husband and her other son--one in hunting accident, one in car accident) My fiance and I just couldn't take the... show more Me and my fiance are looking for a good first dog. We've always had labs, which are great dogs... but his mother was attached to our black lab so we let her keep her. (She's lost her husband and her other son--one in hunting accident, one in car accident)

My fiance and I just couldn't take the dog away from her too. She loves her.

Anyway, we have never lived together before, so we are looking for a first dog together. What should it be?
Update: More details to your questions: The size does matter a little... My fiance doesnt want anything too small (like a chihuahua)....and we like big dogs, but won't really have the space for one. We sacraficed building our new house and offered to live with my grandmother who is 87 and needed some help. My... show more More details to your questions:

The size does matter a little... My fiance doesnt want anything too small (like a chihuahua)....and we like big dogs, but won't really have the space for one. We sacraficed building our new house and offered to live with my grandmother who is 87 and needed some help. My mother paid to have my grandmothers basement remodeled completely into a basement apartment as a gift, since we offered to live with my grandma as newlyweds. So, our space isn't much, so we would like something medium sized.

We like to be outdoors, so I guess a french bulldog wouldn't be logical due to its breathing conditions. (But, We would keep the dog inside mostly)

We are willing to spend some money for a good quality dog. We both have 2 full time jobs, and he has a job that he has on the side as well.

Here's the only other issue. We have Blue Crown Conure, parrot. We don't want a viscious dog that would possibly go after the bird. We need an easy going breed.