Head Pain After Playing the Oboe?

I use to be able to play without breathing for 4+ measures, but now after just playing a 1 oct. A scale can be very painful. I've been playing the Oboe for about 2 1/2 years now. When I stop playing I become very lightheaded, my vision gets white and sometimes black dots in it, and my head will throb really bad for 1 minuet to sometimes 3. If you know anything about this please tell me how I could make it less painful, or if it has happened to you.

Thanks (:

Favorite Answer

Sounds like you for some reason are getting pain from the really high pressure it takes to create windspeed to play the instrument.....I sometime have gotten bloody noses from the pressure, but I would recommend seeing a doctor and getting a catscan.

This doesn't sound like something one can diagnose over the phone. I'd say first go to a doctor and make sure there's no problem with your health that's causing this, just to be on the safe side. You could be anemic or something else that might cause those symptoms. Then go see a professional oboe teacher - if they see you play they may be able to figure out if you're doing something that is making you feel this way. This isn't normal for you to feel like this when you play, that's for sure - not that you need to worry, just need to get it checked out! Be proactive - there's no reason you should have to suffer in this way to play the oboe :)

It sounds like you aren't exhaling and inhaling during every breath. With the oboe, you build up pressure, but you never run out of air; therefore you have to release your old air and take in new. I've been playing for about 12 years, and whenever I get light headed it is because I am stacking my air, meaning that I keep breathing in and rarely breathing out. Also, try sitting while you practice. Sometimes it just means that you haven't eaten enough that day, or that you are tired from something else, and I've never gotten light headed from sitting.

Source(s): I'm a graduate student in oboe performance.

Try playing an easier reed. Most oboists experience a little lightheaded-ness sometimes, but not at the rate that you are. Just ask for an easier strength at the store or wherever you get your reeds, or, better yet, find a teacher to help you and to fix your reeds for you!

its because of the noise and you have sensitive ears. try asking your music teacher to move you up in the oboe section.. if it's only one row then maybe ask her to move the trumpets back.