My mother walks "crooked". One hip higher than the other and leaning to one side. Chiropractor or doctor?

She has some back and leg pain. Doctor says it's a pinched nerve and arthritis. I say she needs chiropractor. What do y'all think?

6 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I don't think you are going to get good results for that no matter where you go because neither of them would look at it the right way. She has muscle problems. A chiropractor works on bones. A dr. is completely lost with simple pain and may go into prescribing pills but pills won't release the muscles, so I feel they both will drain you of your money but not give you the desired results.

    I said muscles are the problem and here's why. If one thing is pulled in your back so it's crooked, what can be doing that? Bones can't pull, so it's the muscles. Muscles are going to be what are in pain as well and they can actually retain the pain until they are released, commonly called chronic pains. Once released you at least have half a chance of getting better because if the pains remain those chances are almost nil. Here is how she can release her back muscles, doing them as best as she can, and for her knees in case part of the problem is not being able to bend them so it's hard to do stairs, one of the more common problems:


    (do from a sitting position)

    Place your left hand on your left leg next to your body. Place your right hand over your left shoulder and find the muscles next to your spine and press on them and hold. After 30 seconds slowly lower your body forward, keeping your left arm fairly straight as you do. When you reach your lap remain there for another 10 seconds, release the pressure but remain there for another 30 seconds. Then reverse your hand positions and do your right side.


    Do while sitting on a chair with no front cross braces.

    While sitting have your leg resting in a stretched mode. Place both your thumbs, side by side, about 2 inches behind the kneecap and press down into your leg and then redirect the pressure a little towards the kneecap. After 30 seconds, slowly slide your foot back and under your chair as far as it will go, release the pressure but hold your foot there for another 30 seconds.

    For the back she can do as much leaning to the side away from where she put the pressure on as she can in case she can't lean forward too far. For her knees the pressure on the leg is the most important part for if there isn't enough pressure this won't take. If that happens give it one more try right away.

  • 1 decade ago

    I have recently gone to a chiropractor for back pain because I had gond a long way with the doctor adn I was reduced to pain killers. Never giving up, I suggest that the chiropractor alone will not correct your mother's problem. She obviousy has some reason for her hip being crooked and for the nerve being pinched and having arthritis. Our muscles will pull our joints out of position. The chiropractor will attempt to get the joint moving, medical phusiotheraphy and weight and exercise will solidify the joint or problrm.

  • 5 years ago

    This Site Might Help You.


    My mother walks "crooked". One hip higher than the other and leaning to one side. Chiropractor or doctor?

    She has some back and leg pain. Doctor says it's a pinched nerve and arthritis. I say she needs chiropractor. What do y'all think?

    Source(s): mother walks quot crooked quot hip higher leaning side chiropractor doctor:
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    This is a straight soap opera on here. "The Young and the Yahoo Answerers." Very cute and funny! IThug is steppin up his game. I miss the controversy involving CJ. I love when HNIC calls people out. Is it just me or do some of the young folks on here seem far beyond their years???? My Stuff is Big - he told me that his stuff really is big. Just for the record YES, my Biscuits are VERY Buttery. They don't call me that for no reason. I'm yellow, like butter, and I have the biscuits to match.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Hmm. My mom had a similar problem but it happened with her shoulders - in that case, she went to the chiropractor (mostly deals with your back - spinal chord/shoulders). I believe that a chiropractor would not be able to fix this particular problem.

    I would suggest maybe going to the doctor.

    Good luck!


  • Chrys
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    I think she needs to talk to her Dr and follow HIS/HER advice...not strangers on YA who aren't psychic and don't know her medical condition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.