Why does my ex constantly contact me even after he has changed his number and tells me he doesnt want us back?

this may be just a little long but i need some serious advice and maybe if someone has been through this situation that would be great. My ex and i had been together for 6 years and we have broken up on and off several times but i recently broke up with him, well last october and we havent gotten back together... show more this may be just a little long but i need some serious advice and maybe if someone has been through this situation that would be great.
My ex and i had been together for 6 years and we have broken up on and off several times but i recently broke up with him, well last october and we havent gotten back together since. normally its never this long that we break up. I broke up with him because he couldnt let bad things go from the past. Around december i tried to come back because i made many realizations that I couldnt be without him. he ended up telling me he didnt want things back bc i had broken his heart and he was tired of the going back and forth and that he couldnt take me hurting him again. I was devastated and went through some depression over it. Throughout this whole time we continued to keep contact with eachother and we were still very intimate and there would be a whole week at a time where we would spend time together. He is still saying he doesnt want to be with me anymore and he changed his number after a fight we got into and constantly says he wont talk to me ever again, but calls everytime, private, but he calls everyday. i dont have his number anymore so he is the one that is actually calling me. i can only send him emails. he calls me everyday just to talk if were on good terms and he wants to see me constantly. he recently just bought me a gun and wants us to take motorcycle lessons together, and i also had some financial issues and he ended up giving me a large sum of money, immediately after he said he wanted to see me struggle and he wasnt going to help me, but when he gets upset he then says again he doesnt want to talk to me or ever see me again and he hates what i did to the relationship and he wants to move on, but he constantly calls and the cycle starts back over until he gets angry again. this cycle has repeated over 30 times since weve been broken up, you can imagine how much a whirlwind this is for me. i plan to stick around because he put up with so much of my crap over the years, but i just want to know is he playing games or does he still care and is just totally upset at how our relationship ended and is mad at the past. well actually i know he cares, but maybe some guys or ppl that have been through this can shed some light on his side, what is really going on with him? Is he maybe testing me to see if things will work this time for good? He has proposed to me 2 times in the past and i said no, so he definitly has deep feelings for me. I just dont understand the constant calls and time we spend with eachother and then when he gets pissed its immediately taken away. Theres several things i dont understand with this situation. I am in need of help!!!!!!!
Update: An i do want to add that I am the reason that our relationship was so screwed up in the first place. he was actually the perfect man i let slip away.