Is there any correlation between circumcision and abortion viewpoints?

Do you think that people who oppose/support abortion would also oppose/support circumcision, respectively? E.g., her right to choose, his right to choose?

Both seem to be hot topics in the news every now and then, shedding light on the thought-process behind this question, where one makes a moral decision (in both instances) forever and irreversibly affecting another individual.

Good point, ξℓ Çђαηφσ. In some instances, if people were more responsible, we wouldn't have either abortion or circumcision.

@Queen of Pain: I've long held your same viewpoints. I've wondered if it was hypocritical to do so... I've thought about it to the point where I can't conclude where I stand on abortion anymore.

It's difficult to make a moral decision when we don't even know what a fetus would feel during an abortion nor would we understand the effect on a man. I feel in some respects, there is too little hard evidence to make a proper conclusion.

Personally, I feel that the choice that leads to the most humanly free decision, with respect to an individual's rights, should always be administered. Being an intelligent person, I cannot determine who's rights are the least violated through an abortion or lack thereof, while it seems obvious when it comes to circumcision, although both contain an amount of complexity that makes the decision process, and in turn, the legislative policy we have set up for both issues always controversial.

• Anna
    Favorite Answer

I'm anti-infant circumcision, and my viewpoint on abortion is that I personally think it's wrong, HOWEVER, I support a woman's right to have one. So I'm pro-choice, but I personally would not have an abortion.

Why do I think abortion is wrong? Because it's irresponsible, and, in my opinion, immoral. If you didn't want kids, you should have used a condom/birth control/abstinence. Don't have the money to care for a child/bad time in your life to have a child? Adoption is an alternative.

Why do I think every woman should have access to abortion? Because it's HER body, and just because I think it's wrong doesn't mean she does. There are also some medical instances where continuing the pregnancy/giving birth could be quite dangerous to the mother's health.

So yes - I'm pro-choice.

Anyway, enough on that. Circumcision. Not my body, not my penis, not my decision. Period. Boys are born perfect, after all. Circumcision also has no medical benefits, is an unnecessary cosmetic surgery that removes a very functioning part of the penis, and carries medical risks. Not to mention it's quite unethical as it violates human rights.

I don't think there's a correlation between viewpoints on circumcision and abortion. I know people who are pro-life but anti-infant circumcision.

I am pro-choice and against the circumcision of infants. I believe circumcision is an unnecessary and too often harmful process, and I think it's a shame that it's culturally expected to do it. If a young man decides he wants it done, more power to him. But I don't think we should go around mutilating babies for no reason. Abortion...it happens for a reason. I think it very unpleasant, and certainly wouldn't do it myself, at least after the stage in which the fetus has developed a nervous system, but every woman has personal reasons and I respect them.

Before the child develops a nervous system, it cannot think or feel. Therefore, I think abortion is reasonably humane during that time. After that point, I am not sure. I don't know what the baby can think or feel, and I don't know when the nervous system is well-developed enough to produce pain or thoughts. It is unsettling, but the child is still part of the mother's body, and I believe she should be able to make her own decision on this subject until/unless we can come up with some concrete evidence.

From what Google tells me, it is speculated that a fetus can feel pain somewhere between weeks 10-20. So if it was aborted before the 10th week, I'd imagine it would be reasonably humane.

I think there may be a slight one. I see it as this:

circumcision: introduced by the religious, conservative

pro-childbirth: introduced by the religious, conservative

(I don't use "pro life" simply because that implies they should be pro ALL life, which is often not true. I don't feel strongly on the issue because I think there are legitimate arguments both ways. the matter, as I see it, is about the definition of "person" which is philosophical. Though on a systemic level, banning all abortion damages society. I am however strictly anti-circumcision as I see it as mutilation.)

abortion-choice is generally associated with liberals, and anti-circumcision also seems to have something of a liberal leaning.

Now I'm generalizing for sure, so there will exceptions.

But I think you will see a correlation not of the first degree but toward a third factor.

• Connor

I'm pro life as I believe a child is a human being from the time the egg implants on the uterous (not from conception). I believe the child has rights up to that point which includes the right to body when they are born so I'm against circumcision.

However I might be pro life and am against abortion but I don't believe abortion should be illegal altogether. The government doesn't havea right to dicate our lives THAT much but I still think it's a very poor choice to make on the womans part but that's not for me to dictate by law.

The reason why I'm not pro choice on both is because a fetus is not a woman's body. It is its own thing. So technically no it's not her body. It's the childs body inside her. If she didn't want a child there well then don't do acts that will put it there. I'm big on personal resonsibility. Don't take someone elses life just because you made a mistake. Accept the conciquences to your actions. Life isn't all about you and what you want. This is why I feel abortion is wrong. However being a Republican I feel the government should stay out of people's buisness so they can't make abortion 100% illegal because that's too much government control.

Plus there will always be those circumstances where a woman should be able to make that choice if it's needed and you can't have a pannel of judges sitting there deciding if it's okay to do or not for each individual so you just have to let people make their own choices, even if they are incorrect or "wrong" I guess you would say.

So if a woman wants to go ahead and do it then I guess so be it but I would never be able to condone it. It's murder to me.

I have my own personal dilema on where I stand with it. It's such a dvided issue I think a compromise needs to be made and just let people make their own choices.

-Connor

don't realize what aspect you try to make. The "non secular proper" is for circumcision? not one of the boys in my relatives. on the different hand, there's a flow between the anti-Semites to limit the prepare. Like hell! i'd inspire all Christians to face with the Jews. So what grow to be your aspect?

Abortion - Females should have choice.

Circumcision - Males should have choice.

My views are not in conflict.

~Pro-Choice Momma; Have had an abortion <no regrets> and I have a 15 month old daughter <no regrets>. I believe in protecting my daughter's choice.

Abortion: There is a Consensus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSQiazUvgo

Youtube thumbnail

• Owen

I don't know if there is a correlation - this would make a really interesting study!

Personally, I believe there probably is some sort of correlation there, but perhaps not causation. I think it probably has more to do with levels of education and tolerance.

I think it's the person's decision to make such a thing like circumcision.

just as the abortion. You do not know what kind of problem the person is going through in the moment, so you cannot judge.

But ppl don't say much about circumcision, remember it's a tradition in certain cultures.

Thats the way I see it.

Her right to choose / His right to choose.

You are the only owner of your body, and you have the right to make any and all desicions concerning it.

Though I'm sure there are others who support one and not the other, It's a personal desicion.

Well I oppose abortion and I have no opinion on circumcision.

I say "no" to circumcision because it seems a little extreme to be doing that to a baby but it's "cleaner" later on, especially if the guy turns out to be a pig and doesn't clean himself.

They aren't related, in my opinion.