What does this quote mean?

"Injustice in the end produces independence" by Voltaire.

Best Answer

Oppression forces people to think on their own -- to choose their own path. If we're given everything, there is no need to consider other possibilities. There's no direction.

Source(s): I'm an English major with a Philosophy minor! :) I've studied Voltaire.

Only interpretations can be offered. There is no such thing as a definitively "correct" interpretation of a quote, so bear that in mind.

In my opinion, my first impression is that the meaning is something along the lines of this reasoning: injustice will spread resentment towards a government among their populace, and this will lead to attempts at subversion, which will bring revolution and then finally, freedom/liberty/independence.

To simplify: Injustice results in resentment, which results in revolution, which results in independence.

Sounds like Voltaire's line of thought to me, but hey, no one can sure.

I think it means that people who are not treated fairly grow more independent and stand out against others more..... I think!

Maybe it means, sometimes a people have to "rage against the machine" or against a government's laws, that are deemed unfair, to bring about change... mainly braking to law to change a law".

when people are treated badly or face other hard times, they learn from it and become better, harder-working, and independent

when people are abused and felt like there is no one who can help them,they learn how to believe in their self,how to depend on their self (without the help of others)

when people aren'tnt treated correctly they will become independent and outmind authorities